1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question re Hymotion upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by orenf, Apr 29, 2008.

1. orenf

orenf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Looking at the new website, my understanding is that the upgrade essentially keeps the original battery at (near) full SOC level.

To me, this means that it DOES NOT fundamentally change how the hybrid system behaves, esp. with regards to EV mode. EV will engage if and when the hybrid system decides it can engage - at lower speeds, low acceleration, etc.

Just because there's more power available to the main battery does not mean that I can go EV all the way to work (a mere 10 miles).

How then does one quantify the potential value of the upgrade? Just because the Prius can hypothetically go longer on EV does not mean that it will do so, unless you're crawling on the highway, etc.n

Having the SOC on full is likely to increase MPG by virtue of not having to use gasoline to charge the battery - I get that. But wouldn't it be a somewhat marginal improvement (say going from 50mpg to 60mpg)?

Thoughts?

--- Oren

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A strange thing happens when you keep the SOC around %80. The Prius will try to bleed off the extra energy to get its self back to %60 SOC. So with the extra Hymotion battery keeping the SOC at around %80 for a longer time the Prius will use the electric motor more to bleed off the extra energy. It will use it more at low speeds as in EV mode and at high speeds as in electric assist mode. This electric assist can give you 100+mpg at highways speeds for the length of the charge. In the case of the Hymotion pack about 30 miles. After the pack has been drained your Prius will act like normal keeping a %60 SOC most of the time. The Hymotion pack will not let you EV at 55mph or anything out of the ordinary Prius operation.

3. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    This much older thread went through a lot of the details on how this might work out:

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-hybrid-news/31668-3-500-tax-credit-plug-upgrade.html

The best reference point I can find remains CalCars, who claim 85-mpg-equivalent from their conversion. That is, the total fuel cost (electricity plus gasoline) was the same as a (then) 85 mpg gas-only car. Presumably, due to the runup in gas prices, it would now be higher. I calculated at that time that the CalCars figure implied a roughly 50/50 energy mix in their driving -- ie, half their miles were electric, so to speak.

But clearly, this is going to depend a lot on trip length, trip speed, acceleration requirements, and ambient temperature (how will you warm the cabin in winter without running the ICE?). For me, most of the miles we put on the Prius are low-speed low-acceleration short-trip miles, so I'm thinking that most days we'd never have to turn on the ICE. (We can suppress initial warmup with the EV switch).

The thread discusses other fine points, basically explaining why the conversion is not as efficient as you might expect it to be. That said, I've put my deposit down anyway.

4. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    30 miles? all that money and it is only helpful for 30 miles?

Too expensive for far too little benefit. IMHO of course.

5. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The 30-40 miles should be the straight EV mode range. At higher speeds the high mpg assist mode should last up to 2x this.

I know it doesn't sound like much, but keep in mind the US average is about 33 miles per day (12,000 miles per year). If you can get 100mpg for 50 or so miles a day, how often would you really have to revert to "only" getting 50 mpg? It doesn't help with your fuel cost for long trips, but in general would take a big chunk out of most peoples annual gasoline consumption.

Rob

6. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The mileage is rated at ~150mpg for short trips, ~100mpg for slightly longer ones (15-25miles?).
    The benifits are definately more for city based driving.
    If you hopped on an interstate and drove the tank dry I am sure the mpg would come down to 60mpg.
    As I am a city driver it is a huge benifit:) YRMV

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not according to this Argonne National Lab test. It got 25 mile range for city and 31 miles for highway under Charge Depleting mode. It is important to note that the usable energy they got is 3.1 to 3.4 kWh.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    to what degree a 30 mile EV range would help anyone all depends on their situation.

in mine, my entire commute would be in EV (well it is now with the Zenn) and if anyone is in that situation or one where it help a majority of their commute, then it would be a big benefit.

the difference in cost between my Pri and the Zenn is currently 4 to 4½ cents per mile. granted electricity may go up (Puget Sound Energy has a rate hike request pending to take effect June 1) but it will be slower and more predictable. but as well all know, gas prices have gone crazy and i dont think we are not anywhere near done with the price increases. i expect it to plateau around $4.25 to 4.50 a gallon. that could bring the basic cost of Prius operation up to as much as 8 to 8.5 cents per gallon or 6 cents more than my Zenn.

now my Zenn's performance maybe be different than the Pri's plug in performance but i doubt that it would be that much different. it runs just over 2 cents per mile. i would use 2½ cents per mile for calculation purposes since the rate hike request if not approved this time will be approved next quarter (i dont ever remember them being turned down more than two times in a row and they did not ask for a rate hike the two previous quarters) plus it seems that most EV's of all types seem to do about 3 miles per kilowatt

at 5 cents per mile (after considering additional expenses for electricity. my rates are probably lower than average so keep that in mind) over say 30 miles per day over say 250 commuting days (overlapping shifts would have us driving 6 days a week so could be slightly more)

9. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh you're right, only a little more than half the U.S. population drives 30 or fewer miles a day. For everybody else, it would only help for a good fraction of their drive.:rolleyes:

Actually, I'd prefer a smaller range for a cheaper price. Get a 15-mile plug-in for 1/2 the price? That and an EBH, my gas engine wouldn't kick in except sometimes on weekends.

10. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    EV Battery range is also gonna vary depending on driving technique. If one is really adept at gliding, and can pull off good numbers in a std Prius, I can't imagine what could be accomplished with a Hymotion type mod.
    All the pulses would be off battery power, and still maximize the glides.
    If the "30 mile" estimate is based on continuous battery depletion, seems one could get some 90 miles? out of the pack with some good P&G technique.
    And what kind of MPG would that translate into?

11. orenf

orenf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thank you all for the interesting discussion.

A couple of comments:

(1) Should ROI be the deciding factor for buying the Hymotion upgrade?

My 2 cents: YES.

We all know the good old Prius-bashing complaint "the Prius does not pay for itself in savings". We all know it's nonsense - no one should buy the Prius based on gas cost savings alone. I bought mine because I wanted the savings but mostly because I wanted an environmentally friendly vehicle, which, for what I paid, happened to be much more technologically advanced than anything out there. It was the whole package that appealed to me.

HOWEVER, the Hymotion upgrade is a single purpose device - its goal is to improve MPG, and lower fuel costs. As such, the only consideration (IMHO) is the ROI (unless you're an early adoptor type of person who'll go for anything "cool", irrespective of price, etc.).

(2) What is the maximum ROI for the Hymotion upgrade?

Simple - at most, it is the amount you spend on gas. So there's a clear upper limit to the savings. For me, I spend about 30km/day, with very little weekend driving. As such, I spend _annually_ less than $1,000 on gas (this figure includes a generous buffer for price increase, as I'm actually closer to $800/year), at 50MPG.
    So, _at most_, if the upgrade means I never spend a dime on gasoline ,I'll be saving $1,000/year.
    Realistically, I'm looking at ~80MPG, saving me $375/year. At $9,500... well you can do the math yourself.

Even if you're spending $4,000/year on gas @ 50MPG, going to 80MPG will save you $1,500/year.
    (I hope my math is correct, it has been a long day).

==> I'm hazarding a guess that, for most of us, there is no reasonable ROI for making the upgrade.

(3) What is the environmental impact of the added battery?

We've all seen the Prius-bashing claims that the battery causes more pollution, etc. The standard reply is to refer to Toyota's recycling program etc. Does anyone know if Hymotion makes any similar claims? Let's face it, there's no way a battery is friendly to the environment, the only question is which is the lesser evil, and whether the battery is (a) manufactured and (b) disposed of in as friendly as possible manner.

Just my thoughts,
    Oren

12. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    orenf, I'm not sure about your logic for purchasing the HyMotion pack.

Just like how you argue that you bought a Prius because it's environmentally friendly (because it burns less fuel), the Hymotion upgrade also has other similar benefits besides saving money on fuel. Such as reducing consumption of a scarce resource, reducing reliance on foreign oil imports, reducing greenhouse gas emissions, etc.

If we could put a monetary value on those benefits, then we'd know the true cost of gasoline and the true benefit that the HyMotion upgrade would provide.

What you've also neglected to mention is that the LiIon battery in the HyMotion pack is significantly more environmentally friendly than the stock NiMH battery in the Prius.

Even if Hymotion doesn't want the dead pack back, doesn't everyone have a hazardous waste program? You simply drop the pack off there and they will recycle it / dispose of it as necessary.