1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question re proper wheel alignment

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JuliaL, Sep 3, 2008.

1. JuliaL

JuliaL New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    After a few recommendations from some of the awesome people on this site, I purchased Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds to replace the awful Integritys that came on my 2006, Package 9. The shop did a wheel alignment, and I am afraid that they got it wrong because I have seen comments on this site about the fact that alignment on the front wheels should be toe in by a degree or so and the guy at the shop did not do that.

Here's the readout from the shop's system:

LEFT FRONT
    camber: -.08
    caster: 3.1
    toe: 0.00

RIGHT FRONT
    camber: -.08
    caster: 2.9
    toe: 0.01

FRONT
    total toe: 0.01
    steet ahead: 0.00

LEFT REAR
    camber: -1.4
    toe: 0.29

RIGHT REAR
    camber: -1.2
    toe: 0.13

REAR
    total toe: 0.42
    thrust angle: 0.08

Does this look right, or do I need to go back and have the alignment redone?

Many thanks.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Julia,

I'm assuming that your results are expressed in degrees.

Front total toe-in should be as close to zero as possible, so you are good there.
    Front camber spec is -0.58 degrees +/- 0.75 degrees - so your camber is within spec.
    Front caster spec is 3.17 degrees +/- 0.75 degrees and is not adjustable. You are within spec.

Rear total toe-in spec is 0.3 degrees +/- 0.25 degrees.
    Rear camber spec is -1.5 degrees +/- 0.5 degrees.

Hence the rear is within spec. The rear wheel alignment is not adjustable per Toyota repair philosophy.

In brief, your alignment looks fine.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The front looks about perfect. But the back:
    As Patrick pointed out, Toyota and most other shops don't do rear wheel alignment. IMHO, your rear wheels have more toe and camber than I care for. The target should be -0.8 degrees camber and 0.0 degrees toe.

I see you are in New Mexico. You need to find a shop that will do a '4-wheel alignment.' This is a specialty alignment and you might have more luck by calling some of the speed shops and asking if they can recommend someone who does '4-wheel alignment' using either shims or the specialty products EZ SHIM.

You might give Specialty Products a call, 1-800-525-6505 and get the contact information for a local dealer. Then call the dealer and ask who they recommend. You can also ask about the price of getting EZ SHIMs for your Prius, #75800, you'll need two. Although not strictly required, they also have a nice dial chart, #75910 (I've put the numbers in your text), but they also have a good web application. The shims look like this:
    [​IMG]

I shoot for minimum camber and toe on the rear wheels. This is not a difficult task but it helps if you have a torque wrench that can go to 50 ft-lbs, 44 ft-lbs on your car, a set of metric sockets and a floor stand so you can work on the rear wheels safely. A plastic headed hammer is desirable, a can of WD-40 or 3-in-1 oil and small flat screw driver are needed.

Bob Wilson