1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question regarding a red sensor ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by roso, Apr 15, 2005.

1. roso

roso New Member

Question, on the driver side dash board, upper left hand corner, there is a red plastic (looks like a senor), what is it :?

2. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Some sort of radiant heat sensor for the auto-climate, per someone else here that's a lot smarter than I. Seems it measures radiant heat coming in the windshield and adjusts the auto-temp accordingly. As with all the other Prius systems, it just does a job that you really don't have to worry about!

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The climate sensor near the windshield looks black to me.

4. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Both the heat and light sensor are on that little ledge right near the widdshield. The light sensor adjusts the day/night of the display when you enter a tunnel or are in bright light.

5. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

^^ i never experienced that...

6. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Huh? light sensor for the display? I've a 'blank' up there beside the radiant heat sensor. I want to say Canada has a light sensor up there for auto-headlights, but here in the states, there are no auto-headlights, thus no light sensor...

7. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All vehicles built today that have true auto climate have a solar radiation sensor to help the system intelligently choose vent settings, fans speeds and A/C compressor usage. In GM products there is a little reddish/black dome someplace near the defrost vents. I'm not sure where Ford puts it, but it is there.

8. Blue

Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you're referring to the half-dome sensor that is up by the windshield, it's a light sensor that turns on/off your lights and adjusts the instrument display accordingly. Unfortunately it's non-functional in the Prius (at least in mine). It works just fine in other Toyota vehicles though.

9. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Look closer, there are 2 'openings'. The one on the left contains the radiant temp sensor for the auto-climate. The other (to the right of the domed sensor) is a blank that would contain the auto-light sensor. It is on the Canadian models, but not on US models (something to do with HID option, as well as the fact that DRLs are required in Canada). Not sure in the European/Japanese versions.

10. Blue

Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'll have to take a look during my next drive..

My co-worker drives a 2004 Corolla, and he stated that the dome sensor was for the auto-lights (I think he read about it in the manual). It seems to work quite well in his car. I used to car pool with him, and the lights would turn on/off even when driving in and out of the parking garage.

11. roso

roso New Member

DANMAN well this goes back to the DRL's discussion between here and the prius online chat, my thought has always been, Toyota has always pre-wire and layout the configuration on their auto's to accommodate the pre-production.

I guess, if we could get the layout on a canadian version, meaning, the light switch on the steering wheel and I'm sure the wiring is layout already. Anyway these are assumptions only, your thoughts.....

:guns:

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    :Wth:

Wait a minute here. Are you saying that American market Prius cars don't have auto headlights, but American market Corolla's do?

That is *not* right. You would think that if anything it should be the other way around!

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah but the Canadian Corolla doesn't have auto-headlights (or auto-off)

14. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    :roll: it's a mixed-up world :roll:

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    All the more odd that the American market Corolla does.

16. Blue

Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If that isn't enough for you, his Corolla also has a tire pressure monitor in the dash (stock, not aftermarket).

I'd' rather have the monitor over the auto-lights.

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Me too. Tire pressure monitoring can save your life.

18. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Does the Corolla have HSD? I'd much rather have the Prius powertrain/tech (and size) over the Corolla. A nice car and all, but not a Prius. Maybe Toyota didn't add those other things to keep the Prius reasonably priced. I like to think so, although having more options for those who want to spend for extras seems to make sense, too.

19. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Does Corolla have HID, which is the reason Prius in US doesn't have auto?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(roso\";p=\"81633)</div>
    If that were true, then adding the auto-dim mirror, NAV and JBL would be a piece of cake fot those without the option. Heck I don't think even the SKS or VSC harness is not there for those without those options.

I would be inclined to agree that the body ECU should have programming for Auto/DRL, but Rick determined that the options don't show up on THHT. It could be that something needs to be connected, like the DRL ECU (why an ECU for DRL, I don't know).