1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question regarding Enginer PHEV

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by Huibin, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Huibin

Huibin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just installed the kit by myself and the following questions are not clear:

1. I turn on the switch and connect the cable for charging, there are two red lights were turned on in the right side of the kit. Do I need to press the start/stop button in the panel of the balancer? I pressed one time, the volt mumber of each cell are displayed twice and then dispear.

So how can I know the baterry is fully charged?

2. The green and red LED of Phev button does not light even I press several times.

3. There are two holes in the left of the battery box, one hole with two lights and the other looks like for networkbcable. I hook up the cable with first hole with two lights.

4. Anyone who can provide the dail in number for help desk is great appreciate. Does the enginer shanghai branch could help regarding this?

Regards

huibin

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. You are describing the battery balancers. You are not required to do anything with them unless you want to see the voltages of your batteries.
    As you noted it goes through the voltage of the cells, shows the total voltage, and lastly the difference between the highest and lowest cell. (It cycles through this two times and then the screen goes blank.)
    For example.....
    1 3.257 Shows cell one at 3.257 volts
    2 3.255 Shows cell one at 3.257=5 volts
    ... etc, etc
    8 3.258 Shows cell 8 at 3.258
    U 26.041 Shows the total voltage of that set of eight cells
    .008 Shows the difference in voltage between the highest and lowest cell.​

If this is a kit that was delivered to you in late February or later, then the system should shut it self down without any of the alarms going off. Total voltage at rest would probably be somewhere around 27.2 to 28V
    Individual cells at rest after charging probably settle to around 3.4 or 3.5V.

2. We'd have to explore a bit more about why you do not have a light. Can be as simple as a loose wire, loose splice, or simply the breaker not being turned on. Have you checked to be sure you are getting power to the plug first? That's what I'd do. We want to get that switch to light up green. Oh, an usually you will not have a red light unless the Enginer system has shut itself down because of low voltage. Do you have the new black plastic switch or the old silver switch.

3. The cable should be plugged into the hole closest to the two lights on the converter

4. Looking at the installation booklet and web site there seems to be a few ways to contact Enginer.
    a) email Enginer through their web site contact page http://www.enginer.us/contact/
    b) call the US phone number that is on the installation brochure 877-886-8897
    c) Post your question directly on the Enginer Users section on their web site. http://www.enginer.us/forum/ (Looks like you'd need to register.)
    As near as I can tell, it looks like the Shanghai location is simply the manufacturing base. Not installations?

3. Huibin

Huibin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    q1. I have the febuary delivery and the total vlotage of battery of yesterdy is around 27.4, looks normal.

q2. All the wires are firmly connected and breakers is on and 6-pin cable is well connected. The green light is still not turned on. Btw, I have the black button.

Q3. When I plug the 6-pin cable into another hole, the green light is always on in the dash panel whatever the button is in the on/off position.

Q4. I sent two emails to Jack since yesterday and did not get reply yet. Let's wait and see the official reply and I will post to the officak forum.

One thing out of topic, the 3rd generation prius will not show up in China Market until the callback of Toyota is settled. The new prius plan to be introduced in this JUne.

4. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Huibin,

Completely off topic but I will be in Beijing in Mid April. Hoping to see if I could catch up with you to see your install. I saw only one Prius in Beijing last March and am curious on seeing one of the first converted PHEV in China that I know of....

Chan

5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Q2 You state that everything is firmly plugged in. That's good that you think so. My question is whether or not you confirmed that there is actually power to the back of the switch. In other words, put your DC voltmeter probes across the connectors for the green and brown wires in the back of the switch and confirm that there is actually 12V power there. There is a chance that the blue wiretap connector you used may not have made a firm tap into either the ground wire (brown) or the ready signal wire (green). Or worse, the wires were simply severed during the installation.

Q3 Plugging the phone cord into the other hole is not the right thing to do. And yes, you are right the light will always be on. But don't do it. It is wrong.

6. Huibin

Huibin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I finally find the error regarding the connection and reconnect the wires correctly.

1. The manual indicates that three wires should connect to HV ECU and list the layout the three ECUs. However, there are two set of ECUs with the same layout. The only one difference is the color of ECU,i.e., the Engine ECU is white and HV ECU is gray.

2. The three wires were wrongly connected to the engine ECU so that the light of dash panel was NOT lighted.

3. The numbering of HV ECU of PRC version is different from the US version. The ECUs are numbered from H10 to H13. Moreover, all the PRC Prius are equipped EV button, so the EV pin is connected to the existing EV wire in the slot of H10-27.

4. The three wires were reconnected and the green light was turned on as I respected.

5. When I started the Prius, an EV icon is appeared. The first EV drive was only maintained 2-3 km and EV icon is off.

The mix range for my first drive is about 60 KM and red light is on, the mix range is pretty close to the manual (40 miles).

6. The fuel consumption is 3.5-3.7L/100 km, compared with the normal consumption during the winter 4.9-5.4L/100 km.

7. Electricity consumption: I charged the four hours in Toyota 4S and 1 hours in the parking slot. I will record the KWHs this evening for the seconding overnight charging.

The follow up report will continue shortly.

Huibin