1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question regarding my Prius taking a break...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by treehggr, Aug 3, 2007.

1. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hello,

My car is going to be on a little break for a week to two weeks while it is getting a few things done along with me being out of town too. I have heard stories of people having issues with their Prius starting back up after a week or two of no driving.

Do I need to worry about anything? Any precautions I need to take?

Thanks, Brandon

2. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(treehggr @ Aug 3 2007, 04:30 PM) [snapback]490124[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, you will probably need to charge your battery after the break is over. Others here will be able to explain the details better than I could. Basically you can charge it from under the hood, since you won't be able to open the hatch with the dead battery.

3. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Absolutely no problem leaving it for a couple of weeks. I have left mine for 6 weeks and it started right up. Feeling conservative? My dealer told me to remove the dome light fuse under the hood for extended periods of non-use ( I doubt this is accurate info.) or you could deactivate the auto-entry (I forget the official term) by using the switch directly under the steering column. Then upon returning you'd have to unlock it manually. Have a good time!

4. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    HTTP 404 Not Found

5. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    For two weeks, there should be no need to disconnect the 12V battery. What is advisable is to disable the SKS system by pressing in the button under the steering wheel. Please look in the manual to make sure you have it right. Then the common sense things of making sure all lights are off, all doors are closed and the car locked will leave the car ready to start when you get back.

6. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thats kinda stupid someone would design a car that won't hold its charge over a long period of time. I find that very strange.

As a precaution I will be shutting off the sks system under the steering column just to be safe.

And thanks, I will have a good time. My taillights are going to vacation in Staten Island and me in Ontario and San Diego, CA.

7. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Since the Prius GEN II Primary Battery is especially small... the battery is shorter and thinner than regular batteries, but it's also taller. They weigh about the same.

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A small lead acid battery reduces toxic material (lead) and weight.

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(treehggr @ Aug 3 2007, 04:26 PM) [snapback]490161[/snapback]</div>
    The SKS has to use power so that it can detect the presence of the key. The only way to tell it that you will be gone for a long time is to shut it off with the dash button.

In most stories here of people who came back to find a dead battery the cause was human error: incorrectly installed aftermarket electronics, a door or hatch left ajar, auto-shutoff headlights that stayed on because the driver exited through a passenger door, that sort of thing.

10. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    At the dealer where I got my Prius (where many of the employees own Prii, and they sell tons of them so they actually tend to know about the cars) they told us that the battery drains during periods of non-use (which can be as little as 2 weeks) because it is maintaining memory for 16 different computers.

This was during the service dept reception that they hold for new owners. They brought us into the service bay and showed us various things about how to operate and service the car. It was clearly designed to head off some of the more common reasons that people bring the cars in for service when in reality there is nothing wrong or the issue can easily be dealt with by the owner.

It's easy to jump the battery and once you get the engine started you run it for a few minutes and everything should be fine.

11. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for all the input everyone. I think my car should be fine if I just shut off the SKS. I'll let you know if it still dies. :unsure: