1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question regarding stock speakers

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Lordkifar, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Lordkifar

Lordkifar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried a search but could not find exactly what I was looking for unless it is hidden in some threads so I do apologize in advance if this has been answered before.

I have a 2012 Prius liftback (base model in Canada). What is the brand of the stock speakers that come with it? I have the 6 speaker base system (no XM or Nav).

Cheers :)

2. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    oops... just realized you said no nav.
    Some 2012's have the JBL "green edge" speakers.

3. Lordkifar

Lordkifar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hmmmm....no idea if mine are JBL's....Short of taking off the door panel, not sure which ones I have....

4. ikagan

ikagan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. Lordkifar

Lordkifar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see.... Great to know. thanks.... Time to replace speakers I guess.... Sigh..... Need more money :)

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why would the brand be a reason you should or shouldn't replace the speakers? The decision should be based on whether you like the sound or not. :)

7. Lordkifar

Lordkifar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not a question of brand, just wanted to know what is in there to begin with and the model meaning if the speakers in there are decent enough to begin with, perhaps I need to tweak my settings better (not that there is much to tweak really aside of fade and balance). From ikagan's reply, it seems to be a generic brand.

I listen mostly to hard rock and heavy metal and I don't think they sound good. Most stock speakers don't....my older car had some bose speakers and those were decent so I kept them....will eventually change those. For normal radio listening they do the job but not for my tastes.

8. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're satisfied with the mid-range and treble from the stock speakers- you could always add a powered sub for base.
    I have this one (Amazon.com: Infinity Basslink 200-Watt, Dual 10" Powered Subwoofer System (Black): Car Electronics) in my CRV- using the the stock speakers for everything but base. The infinity Basslink gives plenty of base to round out the system.
    If you're not happy with the treble and mid-range from the stock speakers- you could replace them with the JBL speakers (plenty of treble/mid-range from them) and then add the powered sub for punch.

9. Lordkifar

Lordkifar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for this info. That might be an interesting option indeed. I know my wife has a Rav4 and she also was not too happy with the sound....perhaps a sound overhaul is needed in hers too. I think this sub would probably be more for her as she prefers more hip hop and dance music. I might only in my case upgrade the speakers and when more funds become available go for the bass unit.

10. yyyiiikes

yyyiiikes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I didn't realize the Prius II came with speakers.

But that WOULD explain the irritating noise coming from the dash and door panels.

ultraturtle, Lordkifar and ikagan like this.