1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question: safety of the Smart Key system

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sun__Tzu, May 27, 2004.

1. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

I was wondering how much control the driver has over the other 3 doors when using the Smart Entry system. In other words, when you get close, are all 4 doors unlockable? Can you program which doors you want to respond to the key fob?

Clearly, it'd be useful if you're always driving one or more people around, to have the doors unlock themselves. But I can imagine cases where you want the doors to all stay locked, like when you're in a dark parking lot late at night. In that case, you definitely wouldn't want the back passenger door to be accessible while you're climbing into the car. I checked the Toyota site and it wasn't terribly clear on how the other 3 doors worked with the keyless system.

And no, I'm not paranoid : ) Just been watching too many late night, 70s horror movies. Besides, its not paranoia if they're really out to get you.

2. rflagg

rflagg Member

Think of it like the keyfob one press / two press options for many cars out there - for example, with my Dodge Neon, I could program the keyfob to unlock all doors on one press, or unlock just the driver door with one press.

With the Prius, you can program the keyfob to either just open the driver door or open all doors (I could be mistaken, but I think the third option is to open all doors and not the hatch? correct me if I'm wrong).

Personally, since there's usually two of us going to the car I have it set to unlock all doors.

-m.

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll expand on that a bit. The FOB, while programmable, I believe it requires a mini-scanner to change the behavior from the default one press driver, two presses all functionality.

Smart Entry is user programmable.

Option 1 (Default) - Driver only on the driver's side, all doors from the hatch or passenger side.
    Option 2 - The driver's door can open all doors. I have it set this way as I have kids with the carseat on the driver's side (it's the narrow side of the 60/40 split, so I still have a usable folddown space). That being said, it's more convenient to touch my handle before opening the rear door than to use the fob twice, or open my door and unlock all doors, or go to the hatch and do a quick grab (not enough to open) or to the passenger door. This option seems the least conservative of the three.
    Option 3 - Drivers door and hatch only open those doors when opened, passenger opens all. This option seems the most conservative of the three.

This info is on page 30 of your owner's manual (as well as how to change the operation).

hope this helps,
    -Rick

4. tag

tag Senior Member

Good posts, guys.

It would be nice to have this information in the KB.

5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good idea, Jim. I just posted Rick's information in there as well as the instructions from pg 30 of the manual. Thanks to Rick for the help!

6. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

Thanks for the info guys.