1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question: Thin plastic strips on door edges...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by RubberToe, Mar 26, 2013.

1. RubberToe

RubberToe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    All,
    My 2013 Prius came with very thin clear plastic strips along the door edges. They are about 1/8" wide and curve around the door edge. I initially thought that these were there so that if one bought the protective plastic door edges, that the new ones would slip over the ones there now. But when I washed my car over the weekend, I saw that the rear door had this plastic strip peeling off on the inside edge. Now I'm beginning to think that this is just a temporary thing put on at the factory and the dealership just forgot to remove it. Anyone know?

RT

2. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I believe its a feature to protect the door edge paint and shouldn't peel off.

3. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    These are not hard plastic edge protector, it is the same plastic sheet used on the hood and bumper.
    They are glued on and will peel over age.

4. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You're right, they are remnants of the shipping protection package. The dealer probably elected to leave them on to minimize lot damage to door edges. I've installed after market door edge protectors due to close quarters in my garage. My car is Winter Gray so they are virtually invisible. Good insurance for a small price.

5. RubberToe

RubberToe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm trying to find those, only problem is that they don't have them in the new Black Cherry color :(

6. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They do have clear ones but they stand out like a sore thumb. Maybe black would work for you.