1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

[QUESTION] Where to buy new OEM catalytic?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by autosearx, May 17, 2022.

1. autosearx

autosearx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I need to replace my catalytic, can you please recommend place where to buy OEM catalytic? Should I buy whole assembly?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Me thinks you have to on Prius . And if you're in California I think you actually have to go to the dealer and buy theirs unlike some other cars you can buy aftermarket and they will meet California supposed stringent requirements but that's mostly GM cars and the like so you know what I think about that as an aside my Prius with a non-factory catalytic converter when plugged up to the sniffer is putting out almost exactly what it was with the factory catalytic converter as far as the numbers and flow go I know it's not legal but I don't live there it's legal everywhere else except California and whatever other state has those laws and that's it here in North and South Carolina where I am I don't have any of these legal troubles and my catalytic converter can be $120.88 what have you the Prius I think in the Gen 3 is a big mess up there so to just get the converter out and weld in a new one and all this kind of stuff would be quite a bit more than involved in doing that in a modern Camaro or any other car practically so I probably wouldn't attempt it what I might do in a gen 3 if it comes to this point when I can clog it up I'll take the cat out or pull the pipes off the down pipe and bust up the brick and suck it all out of the tube and put it all back up and just to see what happens on my Corolla nothing happens I don't know what will happen on a Prius

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    besides a dealer?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. autosearx

autosearx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yes, I plan to replace it myself

bisco likes this.
  5. autosearx

autosearx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
  6. autosearx

autosearx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'm in NYC, but I will visit dealer just to get quote. After doing some maintenance I feel I am pull it off.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can buy toyota oem parts from dealers online, often at a discount. also, you should check with your inspectional services. even california is allowing an aftermarket cat now, because of the rampant theft.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and if your old one wasn't stolen, it is worth $500. - 1,000.

9. autosearx

autosearx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's so many scammers these days, there's no way to know, unless someone confirms they've done business with them.

try camelback and olathe toyota for comparison.

11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    In New York I'd think you only have to have proper numbers on the analyzer. Once in parameter you're done. The visual on the East Coast means somebody looks under the car and the cat looks like it's in place it could be gutted could be no brick in it could have been taking apart off the car gutted put back on the car no matter as long as it looks like it's there and the O2 sensor or whatever supposed to be there looks plugged up it's not touched the inspector has no right to fool with it it's visual only it does not have to be factory either then they don't look at the numbers on the cat to make sure it's from Toyota or any of that