1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questioned in the Parking Lot

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Somechic, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As I was getting out of my Prius last night, a man approached and started to ask me about the Prius.

Some of his questions were:
    Does it really get 50 miles to the gallon?
    Is it true it stays in electric mode until it hits 55 mpg?
    How many people does it hold?
    Aren't you worried the battery will die?

Turns out he is trying to convince his wife, who commutes to NYC (50 miles each way) everyday for work, to get a different car. Guess what she commutes in now? A Ford Expedition. That's right, she uses it as a commuter vehicle. When I jokingly said you must be paying $100 per week for gas; he corrected me to $150 per week.

The math:
    $150 x 52 weeks $7,800 a year to fill-up their "commuter car".

When we were finished talking, he walked back to his car, an older Honda Civic, I asked why his wife didn't commute in that vehicle. As he rolled his eyes, he said she felt safer in the Expedition. It seemed he even considered it a ridiculous notion to commute in an oversized SUV.

Granted, I was glad to talk about my Prius, but I was just flabbergasted at how much he/his wife is WILLING to pay for gas for their Expedition. And he fully admitted it was used as a commuter vehicle.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's a very real situation. People reach different points at different personal points in their lives. It appears that the husband realizes the overall cost of the Expidition even though his wife seems unconcerned. It is up to him to find a way to convince her.

Great job on handling the questions and being open. I remember in the "early days" we would share stories of talking with people. The montra at the time seemed to be "one person at a time."

3. wstander

wstander New Member

Well, key words here are:

"she felt safer in the Expedition"

He may trade his Civic for a Prius long before she gives up that urban assault vessel, err, SUV

(SUV, there is a misnomer

What is Sporty about a 5,000lbs behemoth?
    What is utility about all of those seats? (unless you have a bus permit)

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    She'd better have secure parking in NYC, and be able to self-park or
    have reliable valets who *genuinely* know about Priii.
    _H*

5. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Great job on handling the questions and being open. I remember in the "early days" we would share stories of talking with people. The montra at the time seemed to be "one person at a time."

Agreed, one person at a time. B)

I have no problem with someone asking quesitons about the Prius who is generally interested. What I don't like is someone who is just out to prove that I made a bad decision to even buy a hybrid.

6. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's not bad- I was spending an average of $500/month for gas on my Escape! How is she spending so little at $3+ per gallon, and that long of a commute?!

7. Linny

Linny New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Somechic @ Jun 20 2006, 05:33 PM) [snapback]274276[/snapback]</div>

I've had two friends(different couples) "inform me" that they did their research on the Prius based on a Consumer Reports article that stated that Prius owners don't end up saving any money because of high mpg because of the price of the car. They were sold on this concept. I didn't read the article but it seems like nonsense if you are comparing apples to apples. You'll surely save with a similarly priced vehicle. You'll save compared to a more expensive vehicle. Plus you pay for the car once...gas costs go on and on and on...
    I think Consumer Reports did the world a big disservice on this one.

8. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Linny @ Jun 20 2006, 06:05 PM) [snapback]274429[/snapback]</div>
    CR mistakenly double counted the hybrid premium. They published a correction on their website and in the following month's issue.

9. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I will never stop being amazed by people's desires to tie everything back to money. Here are some examples:
    - If people really cared about money, they wouldn't buy $50,000 Hummers.
    - If people really cared about money, there would never be a wasted coupon.
    - If people really cared about money, Kate Spade would be out of business.

On the other hand, I bought a car that consumes less gasoline, uses less oil, and releases fewer pollutants into the air. Don't talk to me about money; talk to me about your personal commitment to our reliance on oil, both foreign and domestic, and the natural resources availble to your children.

10. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I think where people get derailed on the "Does the hybrid pay?" question is when they are told they should just buy a Corolla or a standard civic to replace their SUV rather than buying a prius to replace their SUV.

If I had gotten a stripped down corolla, I probably would have paid $8k less and maybe gotten 38mpg or something. With that, I (40,500 miles a year) would have needed about 256 more gallons of gas a year than what I will burn getting 50mpg with my prius. @ $3/gallon, that's about $770 per year. Even with a $3200 tax credit, it takes a long time to make up $5k at this pace.

Those numbers get a lot worse when you are not driving 40,500 miles a year.

So, I'm not driving the cheapest car to operate on the face of the earth. I would hate a stripped down corolla. I would probably hate the prius if it didn't have the MFD and the keyless stuff. It's a gadget car and that was appealing enough (when combined with the fuel savings) to pry me out of my 17.8mpg pickup.

So, you take your average SUV driver.... Tell them the hybrid sucks because it's cheaper to drive a corolla... They take one look at the corolla and puke... Then another look at the Prius and think they won't be saving any money anyhow.. then they go gas up their SUV and continue with life.

Why not tell people a Vespa is the best route. 80mpg, cost $5000 new.. You can never make up the $11,000 you will spend on a civic.. If you're not getting a vespa, you're not going to save any money.

11. jmpenn

jmpenn New Member

The funny part is when people say they won't make up the price difference in gasoline and then go out and buy an Avalon, Maxima, or a Lexus. :blink:

12. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I like this topic, because my commute is 40 miles each way in some stop-go and some highway speed. Currently I get 15 MPG in my Trooper.

While going from a Trooper to a Prius will yield obvious savings, my problem is that my wife wants the Nav version. Which is like $30,000. That's a lot of money when we're trying to save on gas :-P

13. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I love those questions in parking lots....

I ask them how many gallons it takes to fill the tank
    how much the full tank costs
    and whats the average mpg.

Then I tell them my answers. they normally look at me like this :blink:

:lol: :lol:

14. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Soylent @ Jun 21 2006, 08:18 AM) [snapback]274656[/snapback]</div>
    I too like this topic.

I went a multi-step route to the Prius:

1. from my 22MPG average 2001 Chevy Venture van and 33MPG 2000 VW New Beetle to

2. Venture van only (2 schnauzers, needed the crate room) to

3. Traded the van in on a 40+mpg 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid (schnauzers were no more; now owned by 2 Yorkshires) Prius wait was 1+years, BTW

4. Traded HCH for a 2005 Prius, package 6.

I really defy anyone to show me an equivalent mid-size 5-door hatchback or van that provides as much room, economy, gadgetry, and comfort as the HSD Prius.

Even on its worst days when I changed tires, the MPG never falls below 46. The best ever that the HCH returned was 48, and that was with me melting in 100deg heat and coasting with clutch in at dangerously low speeds.

The battery expense question is viable, but in California, I only have to worry after 10 years; failures of the HSD system are covered by warranty.

15. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As long as we're on the "I like this topic" topic. . .

I like this topic because my wife was wondering why our gas costs per month had not decreased even after I bought the Prius. After just a little math, I showed her a report indicating that the gasoline consumption per month has in fact decreased by marked amounts. It's the increasing price of gas and her Buick Regal that have kept the monthly costs high.

16. Jim1eye

Jim1eye Shaklee Ind Distributor

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Soylent @ Jun 21 2006, 11:18 AM) [snapback]274656[/snapback]</div>
    Well, heck, if it's just the NAV, get a package 1 and a Garmin or TomTom and save 7 or 8 grand.

17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jun 20 2006, 06:21 PM) [snapback]274439[/snapback]</div>
    This is true, but they did not correct the other 'shortcomings' in their financial analysis; concerning depreciation and expected maintenance costs.

I reckon the total cost of Prius ownership is 20 to 30 cents per mile. This is hard to beat with any car purchased new.

18. Explorer Limited

Explorer Limited New Member

A lot of people couldn't possibly care less about gas prices. The average person drives ~13,000 miles during the year (most reports actually say less than that). At 20mpg that would be just under $2,000 assuming gas is $3/gallon. By driving a Prius in that situation you would save ~$1,240 per year. If your living standards are anything above poverty level that's pocket change... No one really hears much about the environmental consequences of gas guzzlers these days, so it's only natural that most people don't really care. If someone earns $60 or $70k a year $1,240 in savings is nothing, especially if the car is slow and unattractive.

19. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Explorer Limited @ Jun 21 2006, 01:09 PM) [snapback]274814[/snapback]</div>

Like most SUVs, right B)

20. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wstander @ Jun 21 2006, 04:17 PM) [snapback]274822[/snapback]</div>
    :D :lol: :D :lol: you beat me to it.