1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questioning oil usage

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by ronbet, Aug 17, 2008.

1. ronbet

ronbet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My 2008 Prius, bought in mid-May shows that the oil level has dropped about 1/8" below the full mark, where it was when new. Should a new engine have used any oil at this point since it should easily go 5K miles between changes?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How many miles do you have on the odometer?

1/8" drop is not much oil usage; I suggest you continue to monitor oil consumption.

I think that the spec regarding oil consumption is no more than 1 quart per 1,000 miles. This of course is much worse than most owners will see; however the point of the spec is that Toyota will take no action if oil consumption is better than spec.

3. joeszabo

joeszabo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Ronbet,

I'm not sure that you should be using any oil at this point. My 08 since Feb has been at the same level every time I check it. Are you checking the oil on the same type of surface each time (on a hill verses level area) or are you checking the oil level when it's hot or cold (ie not sure if hot or cold may make a difference)?

4. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ronbet,

Are you sure your dipstick is seat'g all the way down [on your recent check(s)] since your very 1st check?

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

5. wedge40

wedge40 Waiting build character

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    3 quarts down on every oil change??? Holy cow. I had a vega at one time and I would pull into the gas station and say check the gas and fill it with oil.

Wedge

6. Kcissem

Kcissem New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My last car which was an RX8 due to the way rotary engines are designed would burn about a half quart to a full quart every 1500 miles. I pretty much had to keep a quart in my trunk at all times.

7. ronbet

ronbet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have just at 3000 miles on the car, I check the oil on the same level surface each time, when the engine is hot and after letting it set for about two minutes after shutoff and I make sure the dipstick is pushed completely down each time. Sorry I didn't provide the complete information in my first post.

I know other Prius owners check their oil on a regular basis and I am wondering how my oil usage compares with what you guys (and gals) have been finding to be the norm.
    Thanks for all of the help.

8. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    What spec? My 2001 Corvette was repurchased as a lemon for consuming a quart very 1000 miles. My Lexus with 274K miles on it doesn't burn a drop between 10K mile duration changes.

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The best answer is, check the oil and the tire pressures monthly.

The Prius Owner's Manual says the Prius should burn no more than one quart per 1000 miles, which sounds absurd to me, a cover-their-@ss "spec". The oil level in mine does not change noticeably between oil changes, but then I keep the level midway between the dipstick marks and thus insignificant changes are not obvious.

10. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I can imagine yours is using a bit of oil until the engine gets broken in, rings seated, etc., and that this will improve after 10,000 miles.

My '04 has 95,000 miles on it and the oil level drops about 1/4" between oil changes, which I do every 10,000 miles.

PA P

11. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    On my 5000 mile oil changes I used to lose between 1/4 to a 1/2 of a quart when new.
    I now am approaching 40,000 miles and it doesn't noticeably move at all.

My previous car I used to change every 3000 miles and it would be barely hanging between the "safe" marks. That engine still outlived the frame which turned old and rusty after 10 years and made it to 200,000 miles.