1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions about 04/05 powertrain versus 06 and up

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by roflwaffle, Jun 28, 2012.

1. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I recently test drove an 04 Prius the other day and it seems like the inverter whine was really load compared to my friend's 06. Is this a function of it being an earlier design, or can that indicate transmission problems. It also seemed like the engine would rev a bit higher when accelerating, almost like an automatic that was slipping more, compared to my friend's 06, which seems to be better at keeping engine speed down.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I own a 2004 and 2007, and have not noticed any driveability differences as you describe. I am wondering whether the 2004 that you test drove has all of the firmware changes issued for the hybrid vehicle and engine ECUs.

3. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It might not, although the owner claimed to have comprehensive service records. I wish I had thumbed through them, but if I see similar behavior later I can always look at what the PO has done.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i had an 04 and an 08 and they were virtually identical. although, i always felt the 08 had about 5-10% better mpg's. just anecdotal experience tho. as for as sounds, no difference.