1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions about Flyaudio HU

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by macdot, Nov 30, 2010.

1. macdot

macdot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know there are a lot of topics on this already, but I can't find reliable answers for any/all of these questions. Before dropping a grand on the HU, I thought I would ask here. Hope this helps someone else out too:

Looked at the Rosen unit, but not integrating with the BT phone's address book is a big downer. So, now I'm looking at the FlyAudio head unit. Hoping you guys can help me out with some (hopefully) easy answers.

BLUETOOTH

Does it integrate with a BT phone's address book and call logs (namely the iPhone)?

I'm assuming steering wheel controls work with BT audio streaming?

Is the BT microphone decent for call quality?

NAVIGATION

How does the NAV button work? I know the Rosen does some illogical stuff.

Do audio sources play while navigating? Does it still speak directions while browsing music folders?

Does the navigation do spoken street names (assuming this depends on the maps, but thought I'd check)?

How is the GPS accuracy compared to a portable GPS unit?

OTHER INPUTS

Is the factory AUX usable with the HU? If not, is there an included way to get 3.5mm jack to the HU for playback (ie portable XM radio)?

GENERAL

Does the screen auto-dim at night?
    Bagwell: "Unit automatically brightens and dims according to whether your headlights are on or off...you can also set it manually or without the "headlight check"."

Does the brake wire have to be grounded to use any functions while driving?

In one of the threads there appeared to be a cool tire pressure monitor... is that included or additional?

Anyone have a link to a PDF of the manual?

Okay, that's a lot, but I'll update this first post with answers, if you guys are so kind as to provide them. Then this can be a nice little resource on the Flyaudio HU.

2. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. macdot

macdot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, saw that thread, but it's 95% questions and hardly any answers. Was hoping people would chime in here to get some answers collected. Thanks for the other links.

4. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Lots of good questions - these things are very nice - and can be upgraded. I've had a Chinese HU, and know many positives - along with the negatives.

I would only suggest looking at the new Sony. There are a few here who have gone through many HUs (Frenchie leads the list). He's run Chinese, top-o-line Kenwood, moved to top-o-line Pioneer (F20/Z120), and now swapped it for Sony. He claims the Sony has better sound (relative thing - i'd guess at the level, they are all good), but runs TomTom Nav.

I now have the Pioneer Z120BT - don't buy it if you use BT for calls - it is very poor. I've run the Chinese stuff, and it is good - and can usually be upgraded (esp nav) - but it always has a few funky things... They also don't do sat, don't do HD radio, and don't do traffic.

That said, if the current ones are 'open', maybe you can get a bit of WiFi and IE browser (huge nice thing).

The other negative i've heard is EQing - most do a poor job at soundstage / or even basic EQ....

At $1K, i'd jump at Sony. At $500, i'd either get a used Pioneer/Kenwood, or a new Chinese 2Din...

1 person likes this.
  5. macdot

macdot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It just seems like a lot more mess to use something not made for the Prius. When I factor in the cost of the wiring harness, steering wheel adapter, dash mount kit and the mess of extra wires inside the car... well, I don't like thinking about it.

6. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Total cost for the dash kit, wiring harness and steering wheel control adapter is under $100.

Flyaudio doesn't offer a SAT tuner. You don't want extra wires in your car but an integrated SAT tuner shares your display and controls. Much cleaner approach. Sirius (not sure about XM) has a special dock for plug n play units. The display is shown on your computable radio and is controlled by your radio controls.

7. bAthinAzn

bAthinAzn New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ima post a question here 2 if u dont mind macdot

does this HU need harnesses or is it plug & play
    does this improve sound quality from the stock HU on a prius 2?

8. macdot

macdot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is plug and play and the general consensus from what I've read is that it does improve sound quality a bit.

The Sirius dock is the SC-VDOC1 (really cool, hadn't seen that before)--anyone know if anything like this exists from XM?

1 person likes this.
  9. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Unless something has changed (new Flyaudio HU model) that Sirius dock won't work

10. macdot

macdot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, doesn't look like it, but if there was an XM version of something like that I would consider a non-OEM look HU.

1 person likes this.
  11. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    MLB is about the only thing XM has that Sirius doesn't. The music stations are the same.

12. LovingLife

LovingLife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If your installing the Flyaudio HU in a Prius III does it need interface harness to hook up the JBL speakers and such like PAC TATO? Sorry I don't know much about stereo's so I want to collect as much information as I can before I search for someone to do the install for me.