1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions about Garmin Nuvi 660

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by PriusRos, Jun 9, 2007.

1. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just purchased a Nuvi 660 at a very good price of $500 from Costco.com. I am playing with it and haven't gotten to actually use it in the car yet.

So far, I love the display. However, the suggested routing from my house to where I'm going is usually not what I would choose. Even though I set "faster time" as a preference, it takes me down roads with many traffic lights instead of on the highway. It also tells me to take a left turn at intersections where you're not allowed to turn left or there is no light and lots of traffic.

How can I change the routing to start the way I want to go? I keep hearing/reading the words "via" and "waypoint" but can't figure out if these apply or how to enter them.

I know this isn't a GPS forum, but I am asking here because I can always count on you guys for some help. If you know of a better forum where I can get questions answered, please let me know.

Thanks!

2. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Jun 9 2007, 08:26 AM) [snapback]458598[/snapback]</div>
    I just found the answer in http://www.gpsreview.net/forums/.

The options are pretty limited. After entering a destination, one can add a via point on the way so that it will go via that particular route. The problem is you have to reenter that point every single time you want to go that way, and you have to enter it after you've entered your destination point. Only one via point can be entered for the trip.

3. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Jun 9 2007, 08:26 AM) [snapback]458598[/snapback]</div>
    Make sure you are allowing highways, interstates, etc. Go to Gramin's site and download their instruction manual. My 660 always finds the fastest route.

4. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am out of town right now, if you don't figure it out by next Tuesday when I get home, I will get with you on how to set it up. The Garmin Nuvi 660 is a great GPS. The price you paid is really good. Right after I bought mine they came out with the 680. The 660 does everything I need. I like the spoken street names instead of turn in 100 feet, etc. Foreign language is another nice feature if you travel overseas.

5. mmoncur

mmoncur New Member

I have the Garmin Nuvi 350, similar to yours but without the extra Bluetooth and such.

Same issue. We deal with it by just taking the road we want to take - the GPS mumbles "recalculating" and rearranges the route to use that road. Sometimes it takes a few minutes and shouts at us to make a U-turn and go back to the wrong road, but eventually it figures it out.

6. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sounds just like any other GPS. GPS aren't really meant to take you to places you already know. They lack a lot of information you have (like number of red lights, average speed on road based on time of day). Most of them (like the one in the Prius) only have three roads speeds, highway, main road, other. This makes it not great at taking the fastest route. What they are good for are taking you to places you have not been (and home again). It might not be the fastest way but you will get there.

7. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom 6850 @ Jun 9 2007, 10:43 AM) [snapback]458641[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I did make sure it I didn't avoid highways....

It would be nice to be able to specify highways preferred.

8. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom 6850 @ Jun 9 2007, 11:02 AM) [snapback]458649[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. I think I have figured out how to set it up -- I have all the preferences and avoidances set, and so on. My main gripe is that if it suggests a particular route but I know there's a better/faster way of getting there, or I prefer to use a certain route because it's more scenic, It's hard to make it go that way. All I want to do is say Use Route x instead of the calculated Route y. I don't think it should be so difficult.

In spite of my griping, I agree that it is a nice little unit. I really like the large bright display. I also discovered that I can use the Bluetooth features with my phone even though the phone (LG VX-5300) isn't listed as one of the compatible models on the Garmin website. I was very pleasantly surprised to see that my address book was automatically transferred to the nuvi and I make calls directly by touching the screen.

9. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ Jun 10 2007, 07:52 AM) [snapback]459100[/snapback]</div>
    The problem is, even though I might be going somewhere I don't know, I already know how to get to the main road from my place so if I am trying to preprogram it before I leave home it's always going to give me the wrong directions from the beginning.

I think I have figured out how to solve it though. Enter the destination point as a favorite, but don't press GO until I get to the road I want to take.

What would be two really nice features -- and I don't know whether ANY GPS has something like this -- would be the ability for you to be able to manually enter a preferred route and for it to memorize a route that you take. For example, if somebody gives you specific directions to their house -- they usually know the best way because they are familiar with the traffic patterns and what to look out for. It would be nice to be able to enter these directions on the nuvi and then let nuvi read back the directions while you are driving. If you could store these directions, the next time you go there you can use the same route.

The ability to memorize a route would also be nice.

10. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Jun 10 2007, 06:08 AM) [snapback]459109[/snapback]</div>
    Can't you change the speeds of hwy vs. non-hwy driving in the preferences so it weights the routes more strongly in favor of using highways? That's really the problem, isn't it? The 35mph or whatever you have entered as your non-hwy speed is way too high when you take traffic lights into consideration.

11. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Jun 10 2007, 05:16 PM) [snapback]459266[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sorry -- I don't understand what you're referring to. How does one specify speeds?

12. chinalfr2

chinalfr2 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Word of advice - Never trust the GPS if you know the surrounding. Only use the GPS in a location where you are not familiar and need guidance. If you trust the GPS, you end up having an accident. :lol: :lol:

13. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Jun 10 2007, 09:31 AM) [snapback]459116[/snapback]</div>

You have concluded correctly. If you know your immediate surroundings and the best initial route toward the destination, just wait and select "go" when you are on the road you want to take. The other alternative is to ignore the initial guidance and go the way you want. It will recalculate and finally figure out the way you want to go.

The 4-digiit Garmin Street Pilots and higher priced ones can store and recall previous or pre-determined routes to the destination, the 3-digit and nuvi units cannot. too complicated for the target consumer.
    The three digit street pilots cannot even do Lat/Long coordinates.

I find the Garmin Steet Pilot/Nuvi units to be quite simple and intuitive to use, better that the factory Prius nav unit for the basic and routine stuff. Garmin POI database and Map data is better and more easily searched too. The factory Nav has many more complicted features but more difficult to use. Too often the factory nav states the route contains streets with limited info, and turn-by-turn guidance will not function.
    Never, ever had that with a Garmin. I've spent too much time with the simplicity of a Garmin that the factory Nav kind of frustrates me with its tedious route or POI entry programming / But the more I use it, the better I get.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Jun 10 2007, 05:16 PM) [snapback]459266[/snapback]</div>

Street attributes are pre-programed into the garmin units, not user changable. Those attributes are what the guidance selections of 'fastest time"/'shortest distance" look at.

Vehicle attributes can be changed, but that only effects ETA times.

14. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I also have a Nuvi 660. I love it! But it's only good for learning the area. When I bought it, I bought it to drive from FL to Ca. I used it in Fl for about 3 weeks before hand and it sucked - becuase I knew all the back roads that are faster.

With any GPS, I'm sure the target consumer is one that is not familiar with the area, thus suggesting back roads might not be a good idea.

When I travel, I do prefer to stay on the main roads and highways.

Might I ask, why are you using the GPS to travel in an area that you already know? Should it really matter what the GPS says?

15. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rxmxsh @ Jun 11 2007, 11:43 AM) [snapback]459513[/snapback]</div>
    Because it's a new toy and I need to play with it of course :p

I haven't gone anywhere where I really needed it yet. However, the other day, I was in Alexandria and wanted to find my way over to George Washington Parkway to go to Mount Vernon. That's when I got somewhat frustrated by nuvi's directions. I entered Mount Vernon as a destination and it gave me directions via another road. I tried to enter GW Parkway as a via point, but it was virtually impossible because it wanted me to supply a specific address or intersection.

All I wanted was to find the fastest way from where I was to that particular road. After all, if I were to stop and ask someone for directions, I would ask, how do I get to GW Parkway South. If I knew what it intersects with, I probably wouldn't need to ask for directions.

I asked about this in the GPSreview forum. They suggested that I use the map function to plot the via point. I think I had tried that but messed up. I think I ended up entering GW Pkwy Northbound instead, because it was giving me all sorts of crazy directions.

16. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Jun 11 2007, 12:18 PM) [snapback]459522[/snapback]</div>

In that recent situation, I think that you could have entered GW Parkway and when it asked for a specific street number, just don't input any data (leave it blank) and hit "done" It will then calculate a route to the nearest intersection of GW Parkway from your present position. Anything you don't know just leave it blank and push done. Usually the results will be what you want.

17. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(9G-man @ Jun 12 2007, 10:09 PM) [snapback]460674[/snapback]</div>
    or, if you tap on the map screen while in 3d view, it will bring you to a bird's eye 2d view. then you can tap anywhere on the screen/map and then say "go"

18. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(9G-man @ Jun 13 2007, 01:09 AM) [snapback]460674[/snapback]</div>
    It seemed I tried that -- maybe it was giving me the closest intersections but I didn't understand what I was looking at. I'll try it again.

Thanks.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rxmxsh @ Jun 13 2007, 11:34 AM) [snapback]460882[/snapback]</div>
    For a limited-access highway, how can I be sure I'm hitting the correct lane (southbound vs. northbound)? I think I might have hit the wrong direction and ended up being prompted to do all sorts of weird things.

19. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Jun 13 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]461035[/snapback]</div>
    true... didn't think about that. you could zoom in and try it...