1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions about gas tank and my MPG thus far

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by Banksy, May 13, 2021.

1. Banksy

Banksy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    So my current best in my Prime LE is 660 miles before the gas light came on. This is without a charge.

I noticed when I filled my prime up it only took 10 gallons

I thought the tank was 11.5 gallons?

Is the Prime like the gen 2 prius where it doesn't have a fuel tank but rather a fuel bladder which can vary the amount of fuel it takes?

Or does the light come one when there's roughly 1.5 gallons left?

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No bladder.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe focus on mpg, rather than miles per tank? Fill when it’s getting lowish (on the gas gauge), and calc the mpg.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  4. Banksy

Banksy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE

I'm pretty sure it was 66/67MPG

I couldn't remember off hand

I generally always go by MPG

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Banksy

Banksy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE

So wait that means I had almost an extra 100 miles on that tank?

That's insanity

6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    According to Toyota, the tank holds 11.3 US gallons. Thankfully, the light comes on before you run out of gas so you have enough gas to go get gas. When I was on a trip out west, I bypassed a gas station because I still had just over 1/4 tank left. The next station was so far away that I was close to 100 miles beyond zero on the remaining fuel gauge when I finally filled up. I was sweating bullets!! And it took 10.26 gallons to fill it. could have gone farther. :LOL: I do NOT make a habit of seeing how far I can go on a tank out on the road. ;)

7. Banksy

Banksy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE

That's absolutely insane

8. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    On my Gen 3, I took a trip and the gas indicator came on. There is also a trip meter setting that estimates how far you have to go before empty. I was in the negative miles before I bought gas. I don't remember how many gallons it took though.

#8 MikeDee, May 13, 2021
    Last edited: May 13, 2021
  9. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yap, the light comes on before the tank is empty. It's a warning light. Anywhere between 1.5 to 2 gal of gas is left when the light first comes on.

#9 Salamander_King, May 13, 2021
    Last edited: May 13, 2021
    jerrymildred likes this.
  10. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Just went through this exercise of what size is the gas tank and why can't you fill with that amount on a Rav4 hybrid.

The tank size (allowed to be stated that way by the US Government in 2 government documents I've seen) includes three parts. The large usable amount. Below that in the tank a smaller reserve. And above the auto fuel shut off point a small splash area that prevents splash back into the evaporation control system (for which you will be responsible). The automatic pump shut off is supposed to be triggered at the point where you reach the top of the usable area and the bottom boundary of the splash area.

Some systems have a warning to get gas before the needle is at empty, then an empty light and only then you are into the reserve.

You never want to run the tank dry. Sediment collects at the bottom and on some cars the fuel is used to cool a gas pump inserted into the tank.

Bottom line: don't be expecting to fill with the amount of advertised fuel tank capacity

Banksy likes this.
  11. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Talk about 1st world problems. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

At 68 years old (in a few days anyway) my 2005 Prius was the first car I'd ever owned that had a DTE indication or a fuel light. Just a very non-linear needle gauge. That was insane and it was how we drove for almost a century.

Ovation and fuzzy1 like this.
  12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would hope that drivers understand that it is desirable for the low fuel light to come on before the tank is actually empty. Yes, they have some built in safety margin. For the Gen3, it was about 2 gallons, see Bob Wilson's testing results:
    [WARNING] Running out of gas (Gen III) | PriusChat
    Here is his Prime test:
    [WARNING] Running out of gas | PriusChat

Compared to my past cars, that is normal. But you must still be mindful of the gauge before the warnings ever appear, because we have lots of places like these, at least on my side of the continent:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

jerrymildred likes this.
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On the Gen3, that meter does not display negative miles. It stops counting down at zero.

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For RTFM fans, here is what the 2021 Prius Prime Owner's Manual says, on page 676:
    upload_2021-5-14_12-19-46.png

The Rav4 Hybrid has a particular problem, and Toyota offers a fix for it:
    Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Fuel Tank Issue Fixed By Customer Support Program | Torque News

On a Gen3 or later Prius, if one really wants to use nearly the full fuel tank capacity, one can, and numerous folks here have done so. Just be well aware of the risks of miscalculating or mis-forecasting and getting stranded when you get it wrong.

BobW intentionally ran his Prii out of fuel more than 50 times, for a variety of fuel and engineering tests, and reported a lot of interesting finds back to the readers here. And he never suffered any adverse consequences of the sorts offered by the various scaremongers.

#14 fuzzy1, May 14, 2021
    Last edited: May 14, 2021
  15. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It's been a while. My wife was panicking. For some reason, I wasn't.

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My Subaru has a different low fuel warning scheme. Its DTE has no safety reserve, it aims for 0 miles to be at the same point the tank runs dry (though the number is blanked out some distance before that). But it has multiple other warning at earlier stages, a couple of them in contrasting in-your-face colors (much better than my Prius), so there is no excuse for missing them and getting caught unawares.

When I was away, my spouse was driving it for a hiking day with a friend. But she confused the Prius vs Subaru rules I had tried to teach her. She thought that despite all those other warnings, she could continue past DTE=0 and make it home without stopping to refuel. The friend was getting nervous, and then finally panicked and made her get gas.

Good thing, because it wouldn't have reached home. Having myself intentionally run it out of fuel previously as a test, I'm surprised it didn't run out on her. The numbers on her partial refill, and my subsequent full refill, suggested that she got almost 0.1 more gallon out of it than I did. And I ran out on a flat road segment, she still had a 400 foot hill climb ahead of her.

17. Banksy

Banksy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I just want to make it abundantly clear I'm well aware the light comes on before the tank is actually dry.

1.5 gal just kina seemed like a lot of fuel left in the tank to me which is why I asked about the bladder

Thanks for the responses though I appreciate it

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Compared to what?

My first Subaru had nearly 1/3rd of its fuel range below the E mark, though that was the exception in that direction. In the other direction, an earlier car stalled from fuel starvation with its fuel needle still above E.

Otherwise, about 100 miles past E or the low fuel light has been about average for my cars.

19. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Put 1-1/2 gallons in a container shaped like this and it won't be very deep.

Screen Shot 2021-05-15 at 8.04.22 AM.png

Hicksite and Mendel Leisk like this.
  20. Banksy

Banksy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE