1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions about JBL speakers / amp

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by mssmith95, Jun 14, 2006.

1. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I know there has been discussion about replacing speakers in both the JBL and non-JBL systems...however, I can not seem to find specific information about a few things:

1. In the 2006 JBL system, there are separates in both the front and rear doors. Are the crossovers built onto each speaker, in a separate location on the door, or on factory amp itself? In other words, if I get a new set of separates with their own crossovers I want to make sure I am going to hook them to an output that is not already being crossed over somewhere else

2. Has anyone replaced the factory amp, and still maintained the factory "voice" that comes with the Bluetooth/NAV package? I assume that this is somehow integrated into the factory amp, so replacing it may cost those functions.

Any help would be great...I hate to have to go tearing things apart...when I know others have already been there!

2. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Too late for everyone yesterday...maybe today?

3. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    From our FAQ in the JBL section, Tom details that the front door speakers have the crossovers inside the amp while the rear door speakers get full range signals with the tweeter using a cap for a high-pass filter. So unless 2006 drastically changed it, it should be the same.

As for the bluetooth/nav voice, it comes from the nav box, but I'm not sure what 2006 changed since it has drastically enhanced features.

4. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    For the fronts they're crossed over electronically in the amp, for the rears there's a single pair of wires carrying a full-range signal, and the crossover is in the door (on the speakers actually).

Most people don't replace the amp, since you'd lose your volume control, among other things. If you need more power, use a line-out converter out of the factory amp and feed the signal into another amp. I'm feeding the rear (full-range) channels of the factory amp into two MTX amps powering two pairs of component speakers and a subwoofer.

Nav Voice is sent by disconnecting the left front speaker from the audio signal and driving it with the Nav system. So as long as you use the factory wiring for the front left dor speaker, you still have voice.

5. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

I have a 06 with the JBL system. I'm waiting to see which OEM intergration product I'm going to use. The general idea is these products will combine the signal out of the amp, un-eq the signal, and give you a line out to an external amp. Depending on the product, this might require two modules or one. I'm waiting to hear more on the JBL product, was called Fix8 but I believe has since been renamed. This product will use microphones to re-eq for your new speakers. The general idea is it takes reading from each sitting position and then does x number of calculations to create a better listening environment.

Here is a quote that I found on caraudiomag:

Ken

6. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(H2OSkier @ Jun 14 2006, 06:50 AM) [snapback]271061[/snapback]</div>
    Ironic JBL is selling a product to un-eq their product, and they know it too. Doesn't a class-action fit in here somewhere?

7. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Jun 14 2006, 12:58 AM) [snapback]271021[/snapback]</div>
    So if people are not removing the factory amp, and just do the speakers, I assume that they are leaving the crossover that comes with the new components off? What I worry about is that there will still be a "hole" in the midrange with the factory center speaker disconnected.

Priusenvy, if you still have the left front door speaker hooked to the NAV system, then where did you install your two pairs of component speakers?(how did you install it in the left door if you kept the factory speaker wiring in place?).

Here is an idea...why not re-route the factory wiring for that front door speaker to the speaker in the center of the dash? We would have to figure out a crossover, since the crossover for that center speaker is probably built into the amp as well. Then that center speaker would only function with the NAV/Bluetooth stuff and actually serve a useful function.

Thanks for all of the help!

8. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jun 14 2006, 07:24 AM) [snapback]271078[/snapback]</div>
    My left front door speaker is the mid-woofer from my left front component speaker. I reused the factory wiring for the front speakers and just replaced the four drivers.

9. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Jun 14 2006, 09:16 AM) [snapback]271151[/snapback]</div>
    So you did not use the new crossovers that came with your components? Which speakers did you get...seems like in Infinity are getting a lot of play on the site...

10. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Jun 14 2006, 07:05 AM) [snapback]271065[/snapback]</div>
    Well this is not just their product. As I understand it the "eq" that is being undone is for the factory speakers. Once that is undone, then the product will "eq" for the speakers that you are putting in.

The JBL unit is just one of a few that are coming onto the market. There are just too many people that don't want to mess up their dash with 3rd party head units, or loose the functionality of the controls on the stearing wheel. They are not going to be cheap but if I can have my cake and eat it too ... well I might bite.

Ken

11. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jun 14 2006, 09:22 AM) [snapback]271156[/snapback]</div>
    Initially I did not when all I had was the factory amp, but when I went to an aftermarket amp (fed from the rear channels of the factory amp), I then had a full-range signal for the front speakers, so I installed the crossovers that I had saved. Since I used the factory wiring, I brought the outputs of the amp in the trunk forward to the area under the front passenger seat, and put the crossovers there. The signals then travel on the wiring that used to connect the four front speakers to the factory amp.

I have Infinity component speakers.

12. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(H2OSkier @ Jun 14 2006, 09:26 AM) [snapback]271158[/snapback]</div>
    Ya, I understand that and I especially like being to EQ for your current set of speakers.

I just wish JBL would come out with something that would just 'turn-off/deprogram' the EQ in our current JBL amp instead of dealing with the digital artifacts and signal loss of going from digital to analog (head to amp), analog to digital to analog (JBL amp), analog to digital to analog (Cleansweep or JBL's thing), analog to analog (new amp).

It boils down to me of what's the point of running an amp to power an amp too? The reality is this is how it works, but why does buying a 'premium sound system' end up meaning you'll get incrementally inferior sound?

13. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Jun 14 2006, 02:24 PM) [snapback]271352[/snapback]</div>
    Just check the number of threads where owners write that the sound is "amazing" after disconnecting the center speaker.

People who find the OEM system inadequate are a minority, small enough apparently that the best business decision for Toyota is to continue to install the crappy JBL system.

The Bose audio system in my Acura is a POS too. Like the Prius, it looks like they had a $30 budget for speakers, and they all need to be replaced.