1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions about LA DWP program LADWP: $750 still available? Anyone have details of the process?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by priusenvious1, Oct 6, 2014.

1. priusenvious1

priusenvious1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi all,

Just moved into a new place and wondering if this was still available. When I click the links on their site, they don't lead to the details anymore. If anyone have the link, please let me know.
    Other questions:

What's the best charger that is qualified for the program?
    Typically, what's the range of cost of installation?
    Does it work out to be a free charger after installation costs?
    Do I have to call an external electrician to do this or do they have recommended technicians, or does LADWP do the install?
    What is the sequence of events? Do I have to get it installed first, or proof of purchase is enough when I apple?

Thanks in advance!

2. Squirt

Squirt Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    See here:

www.ladwp.com/EV

https://www.ladwp.com/cs/idcplg?IdcService=GET_FILE&dDocName=LADWP005001&RevisionSelectionMethod=LatestReleased

For an article about the program, see here: (bonus points if you can tell me what's wrong with that picture of the woman plugging in a Prius)

Los Angeles Expands Rebates for Electric Car Chargers | PluginCars.com

To answer your questions:

1) The best charger that is qualified depends on your specific needs (indoor/outdoor, multiple vehicles, apartment/house, expected longevity, portability for when you move, etc etc.), and nobody can determine that for you.

2) The range can be huge, from next to nothing for DIY to $5k+ for professional scam artists.

3) Don't count on anything being free.

4) LADWP doesn't do the install. The page has conflicting information about whether it must be done by a licensed professional, or whether you can do it yourself with the proper permits and inspections. Seems like a big risk of getting denied if you do it yourself.

5) You get it installed first, my guess would be that they may want to send a LADWP representative to review the installation and documentation prior to approval.

Overall, my recommendation would be that you don't go down this path unless you're planning to install a charger regardless of the rebate. For a typical professional installation, this rebate might cover 1/2-1/3 of the cost, assuming that you meet all criteria.

3. se-riously

se-riously Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    She's plugging into the gasoline filler of a early Gen 3 Prius, when the PIP wasn't even available. Also, she's using her left hand to remove the cap, which doesn't exist on any plug in port.

4. priusenvious1

priusenvious1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    lol. Thanks. I'm gonna skip. They made the process so complex and difficult, it's a wonder that people even go through these many steps for not much benefit.