1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions about my recent ATF Transmission Fluid change

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bpollard, May 11, 2012.

1. bpollard

bpollard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hello All,
    I recently just changed my ATF on my 2010 prius (40,000 miles). I used redline synthetic dot6 oil.
    some questions that I hope you can help me answer.
    1. I jacked up the front of the car (and put the car on jack stands), and let the oil evacuate. To make sure it emptied, I kept the front of the car raised, but quickly jacked up the rear - no more oil came out. Since no more oil came out while the car was "level" I proceeded to fill the ATF fluid with the car's front raised - does anyone see any problems with that?
    2. I used some filler cup attached to a tube that I got from an autoparts store. It was tricky to fill the ATF, as air bubbles would keep getting caught in the line, etc. I was not prepared with the drain-plug and (new) washer in hand, so at some point liquid started streaming out of the fill-hole. I would imagine that about 1/2 to 3/4 of a cupo spilled out before I got that drain-plug in there. In this entire process, I used most of the 4 quarts of RedLine that I purchased. My question to everyone: do you think that I have under-filled my tranny because "so much" spilled out? Or, if it was leaking out of the top fill-hole, then there was enough fluid in there and don't worry? the car seems to drive OK. I just don't want to open it back up as it was so messy...
    3. can anyone recommend a link (preferably with pictures) of good jack-points for a Gen III Prius?

Thanks so much for everyone's help.

2. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Moderator, this appears to be in the wrong forum.

bpollard, I don't think anyone is filling their 2010+ Prius transaxle with redline. There are apparently questions about whether or not any non-OEM fluid will be able to handle the voltages inside MG1 and MG2. If the fluid is conductive, it could short out windings or even corrode electrical motor wiring insulation.

Also, if you read the manual on changing the fluid, it was safe to fill the fluid between 0-10mm of the fill hole. So if your fluid is leaking out of the fill hole and the car is level, you have already overfilled.

Just to add, you should be able to put a pinky inside the hole to check and see if the fluid is anywhere near the fill hole. You really need to stick with the Toyota service directions on this or you could be making an expensive mistake.

okcwxguy, smhennes and JimboPalmer like this.
  3. Fostel

Fostel Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Excel
    What is the size of the fill plug hole or what outer size of the tube is needed to fit in?
    I've got the ATF and tools. Just tube size and washers are needed.
    Are there 2 washers needed (fill and drain)? Anyone knows the Toyota part number?

Thanks!