1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions about package #8 in 2006 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by odysseus, Dec 12, 2009.

1. odysseus

odysseus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1. What exactly are "Parking distance sensors rear"? (this is in addition to the backup camera).
    2. What are "Card key power locks" (I understand what remote keyless entry means).

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Parking sensors. I didn't think any Prius came with them or why you would want them with a camera.
    Never heard of them. Are you looking at a Prius?

3. odysseus

odysseus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe this site isn't very reliable for package details?

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Parking distance sensors are short range distance measuring devices that are installed in the bumper. While they were not part of package #8 in 2006, they certainly could have been installed by a dealer. I think they beep when a sensor detects something within a foot or so (like the car behind you). Here's a link to one vendor of such a device: Welcome to SMART PARK Automotive Technologies

As for "Card key power locks", that sounds like the SKS (Smart Key System). The SKS system allows access to the car simply by having the keyfob near the door. Even though the remote has lock/unlock buttons, you don't have to use them if you're close enough to the door and there's no radio interference.

If they really mean a card key like a credit card, then that's something completely different than anything that Toyota uses on the Prius.

5. odysseus

odysseus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. Yeah, I don't think this particular Prius has parking distance sensors. My brother's BMW M5 had them.