1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions about snow tires

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Flyman, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Flyman

Flyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    :confused: We live in Washington State near White Pass and we get our share of snow from very little to 2-3 ft. If one of the Techs or prius owners in snow areas, see this maybe I can get some advice.
    How important is to install the tps sensors on the new wheels? Dashlight? Beeper? Laws?
    What's best, studded or non studded or can the vehicle handle either.
    It is a pricey proposition, buying wheels, tires and sensors, but if it's best I'll do so.
    I have 4x4 pickup to drive if we get more than a few inches, sadly though it doesn't anywhere near 39 mpg. Lol

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Regardless of snow amounts, an all-season tire's rubber is a longer wearing formulation that get's less compliant as temperatures drop. I think the sweet spot is 7 degrees Centrigrade (45 Fahrenheit). If daytime highs are in that range, or heading that direction in the near future, it's a good time to swap.

When we got our Prius within a week (purchase in early November) I got Winter tires on steel rims, and matching plain, open-ended nuts, from a Toyota dealership (just to be on the safe side).

They guided me towards not installing TPMS on the Winter tire combo, I was halfway there already. My 2 cents, they're a money pit. If you do get TPMS on your snows, besides the price, you will need to get the dealership to initialize them (more $'s), and then repeat each time you swap between the Winter and stock wheels (perennial $'s).

If you don't have tpms on the Winter tires you basically have a small orange light on the dash for a few months. And when you put your stock rim/tire combo back on, they'll be fine.

I don't know what's "best", but again just my opinion: I'd steer clear of studded Winter tires.

A 4x4 is still going to get you places the Prius will get stuck, regardless of tires, once the snow gets deep.

1 person likes this.