1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions about Trading in my Prius v In Canada.

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by cdnbrit, May 27, 2018.

1. cdnbrit

cdnbrit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    Hello all i was looking for a little bit of help regarding my Prius V i'm looking at trading in.

Presently it has 131,000 kms, On a 2012 with Luxury Package, (softex & Pano Roof) Mechanically the car is in perfect condition, Cosmetically it has the odd minor scratch from someone else using it as a door stop or a shopping cart. It has one very small minor Dent on the drivers door. Very small and you wouldn't notice it unless you really paid attention. Now That all being said. My car was Hit just above the Fuel door by someone and was repaired via my insurance. The final bill was under $2000 after taxes.

So here's what my local Toyota Dealer has offered.

They offered $11,000CAD Then decided to deduct $300 for the Accident damage that was professionally repaired. So in Total $10700CAD for a car that i paid $16500 2 and a half years ago. According to what i've read on the Black book the Value should start around $11000 and go upwards of $13000. being my car was in an Accident (Minor i'd say) Do i have the ability to Haggle the Trade in? As for the Accident i mentioned it had been in one, was that my mistake? Do accidents less than a certain dollar amount affect a cars value much? And if so does a lower $ amount accident even show up on a carproof?

TIA

Richard

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wouldn't get hung up on how they're doing the calculation, just look at the bottom line. That trade-in value actually seems good to my (very untrained) eye. I'm thinking sometimes they'll raise the trade-in offer, make you feel good, and stand very firm on the new vehicle price. Or vice versa: drop the new vehicle price dramatically, but low ball the trade-in. Do your homework beforehand, see what Auto Trader or whatever is selling vehicles comparable to yours, factor in that the dealership wants to make some profit on both vehicles, go from there.

Oh and: what are you trading to?

cdnbrit likes this.
  3. cdnbrit

cdnbrit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade

I'm going to Lease a 2018 Prius Prime Upgrade. (Mid level trim)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When pricing your trade-in they will always find something to explain the low offer. I recall the salesman patiently explaining how he'd knocked about a grand off, because our trade-in was an automatic, lol.

Check if they've got any used Prius v's on their lot, see what they're asking.

5. cdnbrit

cdnbrit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade

I've been looking Nationally, Pricing doesn't seem all that high.. Mostly in the $12k to $16k price range. My local dealer barely every has a used Prius Anything.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  7. cdnbrit

cdnbrit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    Yes they really seem to vary in price.. I'm not 100% sold on a prime yet. I may just go Into a fully loaded prius instead as the price is the same as a mid level prime... I will be returning to the stealership today to go over the financials for leasing and financing .. and go from their ..

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm not enamoured with 4th Gen look, storage downgrade, interior, dash style. The prime even less, due to 4 seat, raised hatch floor, no spare.

I'm sitting tight, with low expectations that next gen will be any better. Who knows though.

scona likes this.
  9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That seems a bit low (and man you got a great deal 2.5 years ago!)

$300 because it's been in an accident seems like a gratuitous fee that they tack on to see how much they can get from you. If it's in good condition, I'd expect somewhere in the midpack (or higher... but only you would know your car's exact condition).

The next dealer you go, start from a bit over the high end and hope you end up in the $11,000-$12,000 range. (or try the KW region or Mississauga...you've got plenty of dealers to choose from).

Depends on provinces I think in terms of collision repair amount showing up. I think that threshold needs to be changed cause on a modern car, unless it's a paint touch up or just a bumper and nothing else, every repair is going to be above that threshold.

cdnbrit and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Interesting too: the typical Canadian dealership bill of sale for a new car has a clause stating that the car being sold can have sustained up to 20% of it's retail value in repaired damage, without needing to be disclosed. Now until you sign, that has no weight: you're free to revise 20% to say $500, if dealership rep will agree to it, initial the revision.

There is no government regulation backing up that 20% figure as far as I know, it's just their number.

cdnbrit likes this.
  11. cdnbrit

cdnbrit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade

Piano Finish and weird whites in the cup holder and stuff on the prime is puzzling to me. Lack of a spare sounds like a pain if you obliterate a Tire.. then again most of the other manufacturers are all about deleting the spare tire.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. cdnbrit

cdnbrit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    I'm about 1 day away from walking away from this dealer to be honest. The lack of information they have provided is astounding. I gave them a $500 deposit on a Prime (3 weeks ago) to which they now tell me its in a Train coming from BC. (Can you say C.P. Strike??) I've asked why they can't provide me with a Dealer Trade.. To which i hear.. "It's hard to find a mid level Prime in Blizzard Pearl" The whole experience is astounding.. I went to a neighboring Dealer in the next city and inquired about what i was putting up with and was told they couldn't believe it.. I was informed at another dealer that Protocol is to tell a customer that its a minimum 1 month wait for a prime. I'm perplexed why a dealer for the brand of car i love, is so hard to deal with!!

As for my car. I'm going to tell them i want more $$ for it. I suspect they will resell it on their lot for around 13-15k with honestly very little that it will require. granted it was in a minor Accident. But it was professionally repaired at a recommended bodyshop from my insurance. To summarize I'm prepared to walk away from a Prime at this dealer.. Regardless of whether i get what i want for trade or not. I know lots of Other Toyota Dealers around. But this has been such a pain in the nice person that i may just sit tight and wait till the 2019 model year comes along.

Richard

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe subconsciously you're trying to talk yourself out of this? At the least, it doesn't hurt to wait till conditions are more favourable, ie: more stock of what you want is available locally.

cdnbrit likes this.
  14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well it is shipped from the Port of Vancouver to the rest of the country. It takes a little over a week to arrive (plus trucking from Concord to your local dealer) so that’s part is right.

But yeah walk away and find a dealer that’s willing to be open and honest and you can reciprocate and have a pleasant experience.

cdnbrit likes this.
  15. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    One thing you always have to remember about car dealers, they buy cars wholesale and sell them retail. Their profit is the difference between the two. Have you ever thought about selling the car yourself then you have more control. Trade ins make for a muddy picture of what you are really getting for your car.

cdnbrit likes this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    On the news just now they said CN struck.

17. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Since you reported the dent to the insurance company, it should show up on reports. And yes, you can haggle the trade in offer and it'll likely be dependent on how well you negotiated the price on your new car. Remember that the end of the month is the best time to get a good deal.

I don't think $2,000 is a minor cost, though. If I were shopping for 2 identical cars in that price range, I'd take the one with zero body work done, unless there was a decent discount. My hesitation on buying a car with body work done would increase if I lived in an area with cold winters.

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    $2000 for a minor dent is not unusual, if the body shop does a decent job including paint blending.

If "bumpers" or headlights are involved, the price goes through the roof.

Someone who tries to stay "under the radar", repairs it on the sly: that I'd be concerned about.

19. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good points.
    I've checked out salvage vehicles in the past. The premise that many of these sellers work on was a minor bumper/headlight repair, which caused the insurance company to total the car.

The ones that do repairs on the sly are sometimes simply trying to avoid getting insurance companies involved to keep their premiums from rising. I also know of people that received insurance checks to fix their car at a first rate body shop, and then found a cheaper place to do it and pocket the difference.

It's really a buyer beware market out there.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah just looking through my receipts:

We had a very minor tap, slight dimple of right rear wheel well, area about the size of a softball. The total for that was $1,274 CDN.

Then, a significant T-bone, left-side towards the rear, involving replacement of the rear axle (all new parts used), a real mess. That was $6771 CDN.

The kicker: both these repairs are INVISIBLE, the car is as-new. But hey, diminished value rears it's head. No matter, not selling any time soon.

Info from the T-bone:

IMG_8749.JPG IMG_8750.JPG IMG_8751.JPG

#20 Mendel Leisk, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018