1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions about winterizing the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by h1ph0panonymous, Oct 16, 2023.

Tags:
  1. h1ph0panonymous

h1ph0panonymous Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So far I’ve only boughten the pipe insulation to create a grill airflow blocker/heat retainer.

I live in MN so temps will be below freezing to 40 degrees from here on out for the seasonal changes all the way into spring next year, I want enough ground clearance to manage driving over blizzard like unplowed snowy streets no matter what so my questions are:

Looking at the steel 16 inch wheels from RockAuto I see they won’t fit unless I get a wheel hub adapter device (do not know what’s it’s called)?

I want to get beefy winter tires for those 16 inch wheels any recommendations and if not what would you recommend for just stock 15’s for beefy winter tires?

trying to add ride height just from wheels and tires, unless there’s a better route?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm using pipe insulation with OD 1.5", ID .75". Hardware stores sell it in 4' lengths which works great on lower grill. I secure with a strip of velcro tape at each end, stays on, and easy to remove/adjust. I do 50% lower grill block (one tube, pushed onto grill slat), once temps drop below 7C. If it's steady below 0C I'll do 100% lower grill block (a second tube), which happens only infrequently around here.

I also have short sections along sides of hood, which I leave in year 'round.

For snow tires, his is what I went with, for 12 years:

Corolla steel rim, part no: 42611-02471 (2003-2008 corolla or matrix, CE, LS, S)
    steel rim lug nuts, part no: 90942-01007 (plain, open-ended, galvanized)

With Michelin X-Ice 195/65R15 (stock size)

Have some fancier rims now, but same configuration.

Going to a larger OD tire is a big step, will change a lot of stuff. I wouldn't do it myself, just stay home on crazy days, till the snow plows deal with it.

Consider the Toyota block heater too.

pics of the insulation tube attached:

Attached Files:

#2 Mendel Leisk, Oct 16, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2023
    h1ph0panonymous likes this.
  3. h1ph0panonymous

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Thanks, those wheel code numbers are for just those black steel wheels right? Are they wider or something or just cheaper? Thanks for the tire recommendation unfortunately I can not afford to stay home and wait till the morning when it gets plowed because I’m a janitor and road plowing sometimes get slept on until the morning which totally fucks me over the days it’s one foot of unplowed snow at midnight when I’m done wit my shift, I just sleep at work I guess.

what is that you insulated inside of your engine bay?

here’s my grill block I just finished, didn’t use wires or anything to secure it I think this is called the “Schaefer Method”?

will upload pictures once I add the media

2B32A263-9F56-4C15-ADDD-46BB652170AC.jpeg

#3 h1ph0panonymous, Oct 16, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2023
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. h1ph0panonymous

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Edited with photo

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The antilock brake and traction control systems have certain assumptions about wheel & tire size baked into them. If you change that tire size by much, the math will be off, possibly when you need it the most.

A Prius with good snow tires is very capable on ice. Remember that tires harden over time. Snow tires are extra soft, and this hardening causes them to lose their extra grip- so once they are about 4 years old it's time to refresh, even if you still have deep tread.

6. h1ph0panonymous

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    yeah I figured the rule of thumb for tire size change is one inch down or one inch up to keep the speedometer correct never thought of it affecting abs and traction control, I guess I’ll just buy some cheap 15'' steel wheels and a pair of snow tires, not concerned about ice as I’m always in eco mode and braking long before normal braking conditions all year round due to regen/kinetic braking already in effect. I’m more worried about being able to drive over a foot of unplowed snow to make it to work, I work from 8pm-12am 7 days a week (yes I’m psycho) but that’s usually the time snow plows aren’t plowing and wait until 4am sometimes for the sake of the morning commuters road conditions so I’m fucked being a night worker along with a Prius that is lower to the ground that normal cars, I would like to not sled over the snow but drive over it when those scenarios occur where the snow plows are all waiting for morning to plow due to the snow falling for days at times they tend to reserve active snow plowing measures till at least a foot has fallen when we get consecutive days of snow fall.

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Same material as grill block.

8. h1ph0panonymous

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I meant “what” is being “insulated” but looks like the frame edge of the engine bay?

Also I seen a picture of someone putting wall insulation on there engine like a blanket, will that work or is it dangerous to lay clothe like material on top of the engine?

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah just to hold the engine heat. Those two sides are the only unsealed zones. I leave that in year ‘round, and no problems.

10. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    While I realize it isn't quite the solution you've been seeking... Have you ever considered just driving the snowplow? At least where I live, it's a very well compensated occupation.

Mendel Leisk and h1ph0panonymous like this.
  11. h1ph0panonymous

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    LOL catch a ride with the shoveling crew maybe

12. h1ph0panonymous

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model: