1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions after reading the manual

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jeri, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Jeri

Jeri New Member

Reading more than a few times hasn't helped my old brain decipher the manual. What is IG-ON, how do I get into it, do I want to? Reference starting your vehicle, "the engine may not start even with the Ready light on", why not and then what do I do if it doesn't start? I didn't think it was possible to put the vehicle in neutral but I came across a warning not to do so. Can you put it in neutral, would there ever be a reason to? How do you use the""vent mode to allow outside aier without engaging the actual heating cooling system"?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you number or list things it's a lot easier to answer them coherently.

• What is IG-ON?

If you mash the power button twice without pushing the brake down you'll go into IG-ON. It allows you to use the AC/windows controls/and most other features of the car without going into ready mode.
    • Engine not starting in Ready

That just means that the ICE may not rev right up...it will start up on its own in 7 seconds. If you want to start it faster just put the car in D and mash the accelerator. This is just a built in delay
    • Neutral

Neutral is that "N" on your shifter. It needs to be in that for certain towing options, when you go through the pull-through type car washes, etc. Some of us occasionally use it for prolonged 'coasting' to avoid the inherent regenerative braking that occurs while coasting in "D"
    • Vent

This is tricky...and it's too bad Toyota didn't provide a simple button for neutral.

Basicly, you turn off Auto and AC and turn the temp all the way down to "Max Cold"...then set the fan speed and vents however you like.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

• This discharges the main battery and does not allow the engine to start. The only time I can think of to do this is when you need to operate the windows etc. with the car in a closed space such as a garage.

4. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Note on # 4

Unfortunately you have to turn the AC on to adjust temperature to max cold. Next, set the fan speed, then turn AC to off.

5. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ig-On
    When you think about previous cars you have driven there are usually a number of stops on the ignition. I come from a Ford background so off with key release is the center position. If you turn the key toward you get you get ACC for accessories. If you turn the key forward, or away from you the first stop is run, the second is spring loaded and that is start. So, the Prius does this. If your foot is on the break and you press the power button, the vehicle goes into start and then Ready. That is like inserting the key and turning the ignition all the way to start and then back to run.

Now, if you just want accessories, which is basically limited to radio operation, you would not put your foot on the break and you would press the start button once. The spedo display will not light up, but the MFD will come on and your radio will operate. Pretty much nothing else operates. This would be like inserting your key and turning the cylinder toward you to the ACC position.

Now, the IG-ON mode is 2 presses of the power button without your foot on the break. In this mode the MFD and spedo display light up, but no ready light. If your a/c was on when you last turned off the car, the a/c fan will start operating. This is comparable to putting in your key and turning the cylinder forward to the run position.

As you can see, Toyota has kept most of the traditional vehicle operating modes in tact, but had to change how you get to them because of the pushbutton start.

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

jeromep nicely said.

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

• If by main battery you mean HV battery, you are incorrect. Only in READY mode is the HV battery connected. You can even hear the system relays clicking on in sequence.

Now you CAN drain the HV battery if you are in Neutral while in READY, as then you are draining the battery, but disabled MG1's ability to charge it.

I wish there was a way to go from READY straight to ACC without having to shut down, so I can continue to listen to a talkshow once I reached my destination early, without interruption.

8. jeepien

jeepien Member

Well, anything you have plugged into either of the power outlets will also work in ACC mode.

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeepien\";p=\"71642)</div>
    Well, anything you have plugged into either of the power outlets will also work in ACC mode.[/b][/quote]
    Yes but do not count on that 12v help you out for long. It is not large and will not last long and draining a lead acid (yes I know it is a sealed gel type battery but it is basically a lead acid battery) do not like to discharged completely. Use the ACC mode but do not over use it.