1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions for any iPod users...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by patrickindallas, Aug 2, 2007.

1. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am thinking of stepping into the iPod realm, but before
    I lay down some serious coin on a iPod, I have a capacity
    question.

The iPod comes in 30 and 80 gig sizes and has the
    ability to play video.

My question is this:

Exactly how much video is that?

Are we talking one music video? two 30-minute sitcoms? a movie?

Additionally,

I plan on using iTunes to get the majority of the content since this is
    actually just a dry run before I drop the money for AppleTV.

My second question is this:

Is the iPod able to process non-pirated content that does not come from iTunes?
    I guess the real question should be "What video formats does the iPod recognize?".

Thanks for any advice you may be able to give me.
    Patrick

2. jag

jag Junior Member

Hi Patrick, I have a 60 gig video( first edition of video ipod) ipod and have the following on in: 28 short 5-10 minute videos, 3 full length movies, 18 hour long TV shows, 4 Music Videos and a huge collection of songs and various music productions. In addition, I have a large photo collection on it. My ipod is not even half full. If you can, go for the 80 gig. It plays beautifully and you can use is with a large TV if you wish. I hope this helps. It connects well with aux imput on my new Prius also. The ipod records in Mpeg4 format. I use it with iTunes so I am not sure about other possibilitys. Best Wishes, John

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    A 30GB can hold up to 75 hours. I have The Incredibles, Cars and the Smug Alert episode of South Park on mine (plus music, pictures, audio books and radio shows) and haven't even really used it.

In answer to your second question, there are programs that will convert a DVD to the iPod format. For example, a friend of mine uses HandBrake and has added several movies and TV shows to his iPod.

4. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You can fit a movie for iPod in about 500 MB so you could have about 60 movies in the 30 GB ipod. You can rip dvds, record TV shows, etc. As long as its converted to the appropriate format it will play.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So who can point me to the easiest, cheapest way to rip a DVD. I just googled and found, as usual, too much. Some of the freeware is suspicious (one tried to automatically download). Some costs ya $45, but it isn't clear that it's any easier/better than some of the freeware.

Just curious what others are doing as this would be nice to keep my kids quiet sometimes when they have a long wait.

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 2 2007, 08:49 PM) [snapback]489773[/snapback]</div>
    The one my friend uses is Handbrake. He's used it to convert movies and TV series from DVD to the iPod format.

7. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    "DVD Shrink" to rip DVDs. "Handbrake" to convert them.

8. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 2 2007, 10:49 PM) [snapback]489773[/snapback]</div>
    I use DVDDecrypter to rip, does a great job, it can also rip to an iso file and also burn iso files to DVD's, I even do our home movies to DVD using this, just have my editing software save as an iso then use dvddecrypter to burn the iso's.

Someone else mentioned DVDshrink, this is great for converting dual layer disks to fit on a single layer blank (since dual layer blanks still cost several dollars).

9. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patrickindallas @ Aug 2 2007, 10:12 PM) [snapback]489719[/snapback]</div>
    I think so. I have 8 iPods, two 30GB Video, two 80GB Video, and two modern shuffles and a original shuffle, and one Nano. On them is stretched out my 37,000 song library all of which is stored in my iTunes on my Apple. And I can only think of a few things that Apple seems to have issues with, one being .wav files, and that is only with storing the artwork for them. Other then that, I have on my iTunes recorded video from EyeTV, which moves TV shows to my iPods with ease, and since you mentioned AppleTV, I can say, that it will also play that same material with no problem.

10. Spoid

Spoid New Member

I haven't played with AppleTV yet, but I have a couple TiVos and it is very simple to copy recorded TV shows to my iPod. I have to go to France for a wedding in a couple days so I'm filling my iPod up with TV shows and DVD movies that I have uh, backed up.