1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions for those Car Stereo Guru's

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by truesilverone, Aug 3, 2006.

1. truesilverone

truesilverone New Member

OK, have the 2006 JBL/NAV loaded Prius. Sound is awful and bass has to be turned way down when windos are down to save on MPG. Obviuos right. I like live concert music so I want to perserve that quality at loader volumes without loosing bass, mids, etc. What to do? Do I simply replace the door speakers that sound crappy when turned up with bigger ones, do I add a box wofer. I'm not versed in aftermarket car stero at all but I noticwe the stores tend to push thier favorites and not nessarily what fits what I want it to souns like. I just don't want to lean too much to any side - don't want too much bass where the rest is drowned out but what to hear a bass guitar as well. Any tips guys.

Why we're at it. Any advice on how to add visdeo to my 2006? GNEt Canada told me their new products do not support he latest Prius. How do I get that to work, saw it at SEMA but can't find an installer who knows Prius's well enough to know what works. Thanks!!

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    There are several options, if you do a search through the forum i'm sure you'll find them all fairly quickly.

One quick (and free) fix you could try is to disconnect the center speaker (behind the MFD). i believe you can more or less pull it up and then unplug it. all it does is join the left and right chanels, and serves to muddle the sound somewhat.

Many people have opted to replace the factory speakers with aftermarkets. i believe most people use infinity speakers, but i'm not sure. a search would turn that up quickly.

Many others have installed subs (including me). Basically, there are three options people have opted for. the first is to get something similar to the Kenwood KSC-SW1, and mount it in the hidden tray in the trunk (above the spare tire) or under a seat (don't remember if it fit there or not, but it's a possibility). Second is to make a custom box (usually ouot of fiberglass) to mount in the passenger side cubby hole in the trunk (behind the wheel above the 12V battery). This cubby is more or less on the low end, size wise, for most 8 inch subs. third is to get a Bazooka or a normal box to put in the trunk. somewhere there's a post with a link to an article about mounting a bazooka behind the rear seats.

Finally, i wouldn't worry about "bass has to be turned way down when windos are down to save on MPG" the MPG hit from the bas (especially with the factory speakers) is going to be preactically non existant. even with a 300W aftermarket sub there really isn't a hit (300W is equivalent to a little less than 1/2 hoursepower, or less than 0.5% of the total possible power output from the ICE+Motor)

3. truesilverone

truesilverone New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Aug 3 2006, 10:19 AM) [snapback]296921[/snapback]</div>
    Thanx eagle33199,

Looks like we have nearly the same car. Did you opt to find a video option for your car yet. As far as the speakers, good tip on the center becuase I always wondered what it did and did you install this stuff yourself becuase I', not the best at this kind of thing and the two local car stereo places I've taken the car to so far kinf of look at the Prius and scratch thier head. So I'm not getting so much of a warm and fuzzy from thier ideas. Also, sounds like you concetrated on the bass, do you feel the need to upgrade the tweeters as well or do you see a tweeter just similar to another... Thanks!

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't done anything with video yet... although i found a nice sized inverter that i can wire up in the trunk to power a small TV and xbox (or other system) when i go "camping" in a few weeks (not really camping, just using the campgrounds as a place to party at night while hanging out in town at the DCI world championships)

I focused on the bass so far (see http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=17259&hl= for details). I also disconnected the center speaker. i haven't touched the other speakers yet, haven't really decided if i'm going to or not. i prefer to do my car mods in the spring/fall when it's cool (but not cold) out, so i'm not sweating or freezing when doing them. i'm sure you can search and find detailed guides for DIY speaker replacement.

5. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Aug 3 2006, 11:10 AM) [snapback]296962[/snapback]</div>
    Wow.....another Audio-nut/Drum Corps Fan/Prius driver out there.....what are the chances of that?