1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions from a New Prius Driver

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gingi, Jul 20, 2005.

1. gingi

gingi New Member

Hello.

I picked up a shiny new silver 2005 Prius just six days ago. I've been loving it so far. I opted for the base model, with no packages installed whatsoever (the navigation system does not increase MPGs, does it?). I went with a car that was available on a dealer's lot. The only option that came with the car is the HomeLink rear-view mirror (although I park on the street anyway!). So my new Prius is basically a blank canvas. I have some questions about what to do with it next.

(1a) Is there or isn't there an alarm on the Prius? My insurer looked up my VIN and credited me with "anti-theft device". Is that just the engine immobilizer? I followed the manual and tried testing the alarm but no dice. Can a dealer just turn it on in the car's software? I don't have SKS.

(1b) If there ISN'T an alarm, should I get one from a Toyota dealer? Are there any recommendations?

(2) Is my Prius bluetooth-enabled? (I know the NAV system has bluetooth) If so, can I interface with it via a bluetooth-enabled laptop (Apple Powerbook)? Would I be able to play audio from the laptop over the car's speakers?

(3) How can I hook up an iPod Shuffle to the Prius? I looked at some of the products referenced from http://wiki.ehow.com/Hook-up-an-Ipod-in-a-Prius but I'm not sure.

(4) What's the best way to haul a road-bike? I haven't had much luck fitting it upright (with front-wheel dropped out) in the back. I suppose I can lay it down. Should I get a trunk rack? roof rack?

(5) Any other musts that I need to get? Are deflectors worth it? Is the 6-CD premium stereo worth it?

Thanks a bunch for any feedback.

Gingi

2. dstrout

dstrout New Member

Gaithersburg, MD (suburb of Washington, D.C.)
    The only one that i can answer is that no, you do not have bluetooth. It's part of the nav system.

re the roof rack. That will kill your mileage, so I'd avoid it. Will it fit laying down? If not, I think a hang-on-the-back rack would be better on gas.

dave.

3. Fredatgolf

Fredatgolf New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gingi\";p=\"108822)</div>
    As I understand it, the dealer can activate the alarm system on request. There are other posts on this very recently.

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Alarm: Officially, you are supposed to purchase the alarm package, which comes with Glass Breakage Sensor.
    What you really get with said package is the GBS option, and dealer instructions on how to install the GBS, remove a wire, enable the alarm and GBS.

Now if you have a customer oriented dealer, they should easily be able to turn on the alarm for you, without even having to remove the disabling wire. Some dealers don't know this can be done, but would do it if they learn about it. Others won't do it at all, but insist you buy the alarm package.
    I believe the option is DOR or DOP.

You probably did get the discount for the immobilizer. The car isn't going anywhere without your fob, or a flat-bed truck. Not much you could do about the latter, other than parking so it would be hard to move.

As for Ipod interfaces, some say solutions work, others say no. You have a very good chance that IPod solutions would work, since you don't have a CD changer, which is what the adapters try to emulate.

See threads regarding Thule bike racks. Coastal has a trailer hitch for the Prius, I think there is also another supplier. A trailer hitch based rack would probably be best for MPG, since the rack would be more in the dead air-flow space as opposed to a roof rack.

5. lajudice

lajudice New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gingi @ Jul 20 2005, 01:10 PM) [snapback]108822[/snapback]</div>
    My ipod shuffle works great in my 07 prius. There is an MP3 input in the center compartment. I purchased a Monster cable ($19.95), plug one end into the MP3 jack and the other into my little ipod. Use the controls on the ipon and your all set.

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Bluetooth is not part of the Nav. It's a separate entity. It's not stereo bluetooth. It's intended as a phone headset (the car becomes the headset). If you see a phone on-hook and off-hook button on your steering wheel you probably have bluetooth. It's controlled in the MFD, so check there for a phone interface screen.

Why would you want the 6 disc changer if you are going to interface the IPOD to the car? It's ancient technology! ;)

You don't have the aux. input for the audio system if you have a base model. I'm sure Coastal Tech or some other supplier can supply some kind of connection unit for your IPOD. Try Crutchfield as well.

7. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Aug 16 2007, 04:15 PM) [snapback]497251[/snapback]</div>
    And this is an ancient conversation.

You guys realize you are answering a question from July of 2005, right?

I'm guessing this guy has already figured out if he has bluetooth, how to connect his IPOD, and whether or not to get a 6 disc changer.

8. doubleg2005

doubleg2005 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nedhead @ Aug 16 2007, 04:03 PM) [snapback]497236[/snapback]</div>
    are you talking about the 12V plug or the Aux jack? I have a cable for each, personally. The Monster cable ($50) plugs into the 12V and transmits through the radio as well as charges the iPod. For about $5 I bought a male to male connector for the Aux jack at Radio Shack.

Personally, I like the sound quality of the Aux jack better, but on long road trips it's nicer to be able to charge the iPod.

T.E.T.O.