1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions from a new Prius owner

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Irunnoft, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Irunnoft

Irunnoft New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Everybody!

I'm new to the hybrid community, but I'm loving it so far. Just a few quick questions. I've been skimming threads looking for info, but my head is swimming and it's somwhat overwhelming for a n00b! :blink:

I live in the mountains of Western NC and it gets cold and snowy here in the winter. Should I consider an EBH? If so, where would I buy one? What do I ask for? I already called the dealership where I bought the Prius (Jim Barkley in Asheville) and they don't carry the engine block heaters and the guy said it might void my warranty if I install one. Is this true? They also said they wouldn't do the installation if I get an EBH, so who would I get to install it?

Next, I needed to find out more info about the pipe insulation (?) that people are stuffing in their grills. Can somebody tell me what it is and what I would ask for at Lowe's? What's it called and where would I find it? Any pics or links to this material would be GREATLY appreciated.

What tire pressure should I be running. From what I've read it's 40 in the front and 38 in the rear. Is this correct?

I may have posted this in the wrong section, but since the ultimate goal of all three of these questions deals with fuel economy, I thought I'd post it here. I really appreciate help with these questions, so "thank you!" in advance!

2. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    block heater voiding the warranty? They don't know what they're talking about. Buy one on PriusChat, it's pretty cheap and you can install it yourself. The instructions are here on PriusChat somewhere. Inflate tires to recommended, it's not worth it to experiment. You may want to go to Discount Tire if there is one around you, trade in the OEM tires and get really good all-season tires, it's worth it. Being in mountainous territory, it may be difficult to get really great mileage but you'll still get much better than most of the other guys on the road.

3. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PC.

There are few topics about the grill blocking here, search for "grill block". People have posted photos also, I read somewhere what it's called also. If I remember corrently, it will cost you about $10.

I am also looking to get this done soon. This is my second winter with the Prius.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Irunnoft @ Nov 16 2007, 10:32 AM) [snapback]540584[/snapback]</div>
    It most definitely isn't necessary for startup. After having driven 7 winters in Minnesota with my two Prius, I can say that quite confidently... since I still don't have a EBH.

The benefit comes in the form of shorter warmup times.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Irunnoft @ Nov 16 2007, 10:32 AM) [snapback]540584[/snapback]</div>
    Any combination with a 2 PSI front bias is fine. Harder is better for both efficiency and tread life. Minimum is 35/33. I prefer the maximum of 44/42.

5. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Irunnoft @ Nov 16 2007, 11:32 AM) [snapback]540584[/snapback]</div>
    There is a great thread started two years ago by Tony Schaefer on the question of pipe insulation installation as a rad-iator "block" for the winter months. I've just completed my own installation, and I've put pictures on that thread (even if the thread is a big old). Please follow this link to see.

I've used the pipe insulation used on air conditioners -- it is the smooth kind. It is a bit more expensive, but I like the look. You can use the smallest diameter generally available and cut it in half length-wise. More detailed instructions are available on the thread.

Post your pictures when you are done!

6. personallyuneek

personallyuneek Yankee fan in New England

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Welcome. Take things one step at a time. It takes time for breakin, your skill and the car's parts.....Don't worry, your PC family will help every step of the way ;)
    EBH
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=11176&hl=
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=36066&hl=
    ---do it.. not necessary, but will help Fuel Effeciency
    http://www.metrotpn.com/ is out of stock, but will have soon (we hope)
    Grill Blocking (Pipe insulation). I bought my at Wal-Mart last night for 1.88. You need Cable ties too
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=3...=Grill+blocking
    Mileage
    Efusco has a doc out here for beginners to explain all the tips/ tricks and jargon
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=15311&hl=
    Tire Pressure
    40/38 (COLD pressure.. Do it first thing in the morning before you move the car.)

7. Irunnoft

Irunnoft New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PersonallyUneek @ Nov 16 2007, 12:44 PM) [snapback]540636[/snapback]</div>

Thanks everybody for the helpful info! ;)