1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions from a prospective Prius owner

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Matty G, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Matty G

Matty G New Member

Hello everyone! Excellent site/forum you have going here. Having read through some of the threads I've already learned a lot of useful information. Looks very useful!

Anyway, I'm very strongly considering (95%+ sure that I'll get one) buying a new 2006 Prius within the next few months. I don't care what the car looks like, but I'm planning on getting it in white because white cars get into fewer accidents because they are more visible than others and because white absorbs less heat from the sun (a significant consideration given that I live in Texas). I plan on getting either package 1 or 4. But I have a few questions, and I'd be most greatful for input from all you knowledgeable/experienced Prius owners. :D

1) Vehicle Stability Control - The reason why I'm considering package 4 is that it's the cheapest package that has vehicle stability control. I don't particularly want or need the extra audio/smart key system/backup camra, although I wouldn't mind having them - it really comes down to the VSC. While I understand that VSC is estimated to reduce the risk of single car crashes by ~33%, the climate in Texas does not provide for much of the rain/snow conditions in which I gather VSC makes the biggest difference. Do you think that this is worth the extra ~$1175 it would cost me? Has anyone benefitted from the VSC in an emergency situation? Given that I'm concerned enough about safety that I would not buy a car without ABS, side curtain airbags, good crash test scores, good braking, etc, would it be irrational of me to buy one without VSC?

2) MP3s - If I do get package 4, can I transfer MP3s/Podcasts from an IPOD to the Prius? How does this work? Are there any problems with plugging it in?

3) Rear Visibility - When testdriving, I had some trouble with rear visibility, but I think I got used to it to some extent after the first test drive. I don't think this is a dealbreaker type problem or anything and I imagine that I would get even more used to it with experience, but has anyone had any major problems seeing cars behind you?

4) Maximum Gas Mileage - I'd like to get as good gas mileage as possible (heh - B) . I already know the normal obvious things that apply to all cars (don't accelerate too quickly, don't slam on the breaks at the last minute, don't carry unnecessary weight, tire pressure, etc). What I'd like to know more about are Prius/Hybrid specific tips for increasing gas mileage. I've looked around in the archives and around the web and have seen some references to isolated techniques, but can't seem to find anywhere where all the prius-specific ways to increase gas mileage are listed together and clearly explained. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

5) Price - With minimal effort and only initial inquiries, I've already been able to find a dealer who will put me on a waiting list (I don't particularly want to wait, but am willing to do so for up to several months if it means I can get a better deal and get exactly what I want) and sell for $300 under MSRP. I have a list of the 50 or so dealers which are closest to me (~50 within a ~4-5 hour drive and ~20 within a 1-2 hour drive) and I'm quite sure that I could get a better offer by making them compete for my business, but how low can I reasonably expect them to go? Any input from anyone who has recently purchased in the TX area would be especially nice - also, any dealers to avoid or that anyone would recommend?

6) Tax Credit - As I understand it, as long as I purchase a new '06 prius before the end of the 2nd quarter, I am guaranteed (there is no chance of me being hit up for the alternative minimum tax) a tax credit thanks to the '05 energy bill. Is that correct? I just want to make sure I understand it correctly. <_< And how solid of an estimate is $3150?

7) TT&L - I downloaded Kiloran's excellent Prius calculator spreadsheet (thanks Kiloran! :D ) but I don't know what the various title fees should be in Texas. I want to make sure the dealer doesn't overcharge me on these last fees at the end. Does anyone know how I can find out what they are in TX (or better yet, what they are)?

Kiloran's spreadsheet lists the following fees:

Passenger Vehicle Registration
    Certificate of Title
    Transfer of Registration (Plate Transfer Fee)
    Original Title Issuance
    Record a Lien
    Electronic Filing

And what are "Dealer Document Fees?" How much should that be and is it legit?

Thanks,

Matty G.

2. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Any other questions, matty ? ;)

4) Evan Fusco wrote a very good overview. If you cannot find it here, hop over to greenhybid.com and look in the articles section.

6) Correct

5) I have read $800 under msrp

1) Very interesting question. If you care to query the database that IIHS uses for their reports, you could probably come up with relative benefit by month.

3) Few people have depth perception as poor as me, yet I reverse and parallel park without a lot of difficulty. Not with the ease I enjoyed with my Honda Civic after a couple of years of getting to know it, but OK.

Dealer Doc fees are junk fees. I ate a $100 fee when I purchased my Prius, and told the dealer to stuff them when I bought my Honda Civic.

All the best, and good luck !

3. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

You get my vote as "most prepared prospective Prius purchaser".

4. frankie_delaware

frankie_delaware Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know if pkg 4 comes with the CD player that plays mp3s, but what I do is copy my podcasts to a CD and play them from the CD player. Easier than using my mp3 player through the Aux audio port (I use that for my XM radio...).

fd

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1) You think you don't want the smart key, but once you have it, you'll change your mind. Trust us. As for VSC, it doesn't have to be wet weather that'll make your car lose control. Sandy roads, oil slicks and what have you (even speed if you want to go there). I'd recommend it.

2) It'll play MP3 CDs and well as songs in your mp3 player. You cannot transfer as there's no HDD in the Prius. All it does is play the songs when you plug it into the AUX Input.

3) It's not that bad actually. The split makes you think that you're missing out but really, it helps block headlights at night. I'm guessing you're gonna tint since you're in Texas, in that case, the backup camera will help at night when it's too dark to see out the tinted windows.

4) Pulse and Glide is one of the best techniques. This means you accelerate briskly past your intended speed, then glide back down to the speed you want to be, then accelerate back up (hence the pulse). Of course, don't do it if there's a lot of traffic behind you cause that'll piss people off. Also, if the road's on a slight decline, just glide, no need to pulse. To glide is when the engine is off and there are no arrows shown on the display. This means you're not using any fuel AND you're not using any battery power either. It's free!

6. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Personally, when I was going to buy a Prius for my daugther... I was only interested in Pkg #1 because of the safety feature of the side curtain airbags. However... I soon realized (like you are asking)... that VSC was a feature that dramatically improved safety... so #4 became my target.

Then I was torn about the HID headlights... but decided that I probably would not go that far... even though it was a safety consideration. Then at the last minute... I found a dealer that would sell me a Pkg #8 in time for Christmas... so I went with the entire enchilada rather than just wrapping a sales brochure and placing it under the tree.

Bottom line... I think #4 is the sweet spot for someone who is interested in safety.

/Jim

7. gjertsen

gjertsen Junior Member

My 2 cents as a new owner:

You got it. No one knows how accurate $3150 is, but I haven't heard any other numbers flung around recently. The most it could possibly be would be $3400. You are probably good for the full credit through 3 quarters of 06 at least, from what I've read. For it to end after the 2nd quarter Toyota would have to sell 60000 Prii in this quarter alone. I doubt their production is that high, even if demand is.

Good luck!

8. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    adopt me plz

9. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

I wouldn't be willing to pay anything above dealer cost on these items.
    Processing the sale is what the built in profit margin over MSRP is for after all.

10. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I'll DEFINATLY 2nd that!!! Never really though it was a big deal until I decided to get Package #7 and it came along with it. LOVE IT!! I don't think I could have a car without it now B)

11. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

I like it and it is really cool but, if it weren't for my wife and the fact that I'd have had to wait longer for a factory order, I'd have rather saved the money than have purchased this.
    Different folks value different things differently. :)

12. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree completely with you about ABS, I don't want a car without it either. Extra air bags, good crash test scores, etc are a different matter, they are things which might, or might not, help you survive a crash. But ABS and VSC are designed to help you avoid an accident to start with, a philosophy I agree with wholeheartedly. But does VSC actually work? Well it's never saved me because I've never been in a situation with my Prius where it was required. I have seen it work because I have tried it, on both dry pavement and in ice and snow. I can say it works pretty much as advertised, it uses the individual wheel brakes and decreases throttle input to keep the car from sliding as much as it might otherwise. A trained racing driver under controled conditions could most likely get the car to handle better without it, and some high performance sports cars have a switch to shut their VSC off. But for most of us, including me, I think it could help under some conditions. It is something you pay quite a bit extra for and hope you will never need. I got it as part of a package (pkg 4 in 2005) and that package included some other things I definately wanted, such as HID headlights, so I have VSC by default. I can honestly say I don't mind having it and some day I might be glad I do, but I hope not.

13. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Doc fees are crap. If the dealer wants to charge a doc prep fee let them know the deal is dead. As for state fees, call your stats motor vehicle department or department of licensing and as them what their fees are for the purchase of a new vehicle. They will tell you.

14. bluejay

bluejay New Member

Having won first-prize in the most uninformed prius purchaser category--I second this. Excellent thread to direct prospective buyers to.

15. Matty G

Matty G New Member

Thanks for all the replies! That answers most all of my questions quite well.

Right now I'm thinking that I'd like to get package 4. I don't like the idea of taking any unnecessary chances with safety, and I did some research on insurance and it turns out that I can get a discount for having the VSC. Oh, and if there's really such universal agreement about the wonders of keyless entry, then it can't be so bad. ;) Plugging in an ipod and the backup camera also sound nice too.

I did another test drive today and was able to get around 45-50 mpg driving normally. Then I tried to do the pulse and glide (I'm sure I didn't do it properly, but I just went up to about 40 and coasted down to about 33-35 repeatedly) and my MPG jumped up to 60+!

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would that be an MP4? :rolleyes:

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  18. phumpher

phumpher um...oh...uh...wa...er

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  19. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Wish I could have found a dealer like that.
    Tried to work with 3 and the best of them didn't manage even to deliver exactly what was promised.
    I don't think thoughts of return business were prominent in their consciousnesses.

20. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Don't ignore cruise control. In my area there are now long stretches of country roads with a 30 MPH speed limit. It can often be difficult to keep to 30 and recently I was fined £60 ($100) for allegedly doing 37 (caught by what the police called a "mobile camera"). So now I switch on cruise control in a long 30 MPH stretch and I've noticed this improves MPG.