1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions: Mud Flaps/Splash Guards, Noisy Tires, K&N Filter, and Injector Cleaner

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by pleasedpriusowner, Sep 2, 2013.

1. pleasedpriusowner

pleasedpriusowner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hello Everyone!

My Forum name is "pleased prius owner," my real name is Dave, and I am a 61 year old, hearing impaired (wear hearing aids), retired music educator. I (and the bank) own a 2012 Regular Prius Five with black paint, gray interior, heavy duty rubber floor mats, lighted door sill thingies, and a few other options. I picked the car up on November 29, 2012 and have 20,700 miles on it as of today, September 2, 2013 (I drive, sometimes 2-3 times per week, from Toledo, Ohio to Columbus, Ohio to help care for my elderly parents). I absolutely love the car and it is performing ABOVE expectations and predictions in all areas.

My questions are honest ones and not meant to make it seem like I am the village idiot...I honestly don't know the answers to what I'm about to ask and would like some help from those of you with more experience owning a Prius. Here are my questions:

1. Mud Flaps/Splash Guards as advertised on prius chat accessories: Which ones are the best in terms of looks, the US or European ones? It is hard to see differences by looking at the pictures provided with the product information. I'm leaning toward the European ones.

2. Will the installation of either style (US or European) of mud flaps/splash guards cause drilling or other invasive actions to be taken in order to install them on the car? Which style will cause the least amount of invasion?

3. Will the installation of either style of mud flaps/splash guards cause a drop in mileage due to creating more wind resistance? I realize that this seems to be a "wacko question," but the first and foremost reason for me purchasing the Prius was to save money on gas. I do NOT want to hamper the car's ability to get outstanding mpg's. Will one style be less resistive than the other (or is this something that will be such a small issue that it doesn't matter...in other words, a wacko question).

4. The Prius Five comes with "low profile" tires (at least the one the bank and I own did). My car has Toyo Proxes A20 PXA20 P215/45 R17 87V Tubeless Steel Belted Radial M+S tires on it. I keep them aired up to 35-38 psi (more often than not at 38 psi). As I mentioned above, I am hearing impaired and wear hearing aids. Due to an unfortunate set of circumstances, I have had to get a new (state of the state of the state of the art) hearing aids and am now finding that the car is extremely noisy in terms of road noise. From almost the moment it starts moving (2 mph and up) there is a low pitched "rumble" (or "growl") that becomes quite noticeable with the new hearing aids. I had noticed the "rumble" with the previous pair of aids, but it now sounds as though there is/are wheel bearing(s) worn out and making noise. When I first noticed the "rumble" (using the old aids at the 15,000 mile service), I asked the dealer service writer about it...they (service writer and technician) drove the car and said that it is a tire noise and is "normal" for this kind/brand of tires. The amount of psi does not seem to make a difference in the amount of noise.

My questions: A) Am I being fed a load of used clarinet reeds at the dealer about this being tire noise? B) Are these tires really as noisy as they seem to be? C) Is there anything that can be done to fix this problem (other than having the hearing aid lady re-tune the hearing aids or not wear them when I drive)? D) Is it possible that I have one (or more) wheel bearings out/going out at 20,700 miles? E) Are there other causes for this kind of noise? F) Any ideas?

5. In all of my previous vehicles, I have used an injector cleaner (various kinds/brands...most recently "Lucas") and have had good results (haven't ever had to do one of those expensive injector/ fuel system cleaning jobs and my cars have always ran well and gotten better than advertised mpg even with up to 260,000+ miles on them). Does anyone have thoughts about this practice? I haven't used anything yet, but would like to get started soon (especially before winter). I am aware of the argument that the $$$ spent on "treatments" are wasted $$$ and I would be better off getting a six pack of (very) cheap beer and pouring it in me instead. My question is centered solely on whether or not injector cleaner (any kind/brand) SHOULD or SHOULD NOT be used in a Prius. Will using it cause harm? Things are working well at the moment and I don't want to do anything that will mess up "well."

6. In several of my previous vehicles, I have installed a K&N air filter for the internal combustion engine (ICE) and have gotten excellent results (up to 2 mpg better economy and noticeably better acceleration). Is there any reason that I should or SHOULD NOT do this in my (and the bank's) Prius? I know that an "up to 2 mpg" increase is not much and that it will take forever to recoup the cost of the filter and cleaning materials...that is not necessarily my goal. My thought is that if the engine is able to breathe easier, it won't have to work as hard. If it doesn't have to work as hard, it will last longer. If it lasts longer, I will be an even more happy camper.

Those are my questions at this point. I look forward to hearing from those of you who are much better versed in the world of Prius than I am. Thank you!

Dave
    (pleased prius owner)

JMD likes this.
  2. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In general, mud flaps are considered to be bad for mileage. However, Toyota may have designed them to have minimal effect on mileage.

Sounds like your hearing aids are just picking up the tire noise. Maybe take them out when driving?

There are many cleaners and additives in modern gasoline that should keep your engine clean. I don't think it would hurt to put a bottle in every few months if it'll make you feel good.

In a fuel injected engine, the air filter doesn't make any appreciable difference in mileage, but can help performance. See this page on fueleconomy.gov for more info.

pleasedpriusowner likes this.
  3. pleasedpriusowner

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you vskid3! Interesting article and site to which you directed me. I just spent about an hour poking around. The hearing aid issue can be programed resolved so I don't need to take them out when driving (they blue tooth directly from the cell phone to the hearing aids...wonderful to be able to hear on the phone again). I'm just trying to minimize hearing aid adjustments because one thing leads to another when messing around with the programing. I don't want to lose the other good things going on in the new hearing aids. Also, wanted to ask about tire/car noise with the specific tires I have on the car. I appreciate your comments and look forward to hearing more from you and others!

BTW, I'm impressed with the mileage you are getting in both of your vehicles! My actual (at the pump with a calculator) mpg is 51 ish mpg (versus the car display at 52 ish mpg). Compared to the 27 ish mpg I was getting in a 2009 Chevy Malibu (great car, great mpg for what it is), I couldn't be happier with the Prius!

Thanks for your insight!

Dave

4. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My Previous car was a BMW and with the windows up the car interior was very quiet. The Prius is noisy at high speed. The car insulation is not BMW quality. When the time comes to replace the tires try and get a Brand that has very high marks for low tire noise.

5. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    BMW and Prius are two different beasts. Prius is built to be light, so thin sound proofing is used. The weight of sound proofing can be pretty high. BMW being a high end car will add plenty of sound proofing. Its not that one car is cheaper than the other, just that they were designed for two different purposes.

6. pleasedpriusowner

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you JMD and orenji! Hope to hear more from you!

Dave

JMD likes this.
  7. eliotb

eliotb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Pleased Prius Owner: You and I have identical issues, i.e. can't hear worth a hoot and we probably have the same hearing aids, and I'm roughly your age (64 this month). My digital, directional Oticon's with the Bluetooth streamer (also hooked into the car phone) tell me the tire noise of these 17-inch tires is pretty loud, not to mention the noise of uneven pavement near my home. When I test-drove a Prius it was a standard model with the 15-inch tires and I didn't realize the difference 17-inch wheels and tires would make. I can't really weigh in on the mud flaps other than to say I have considered them and may install them myself. If you look at the instruction sheet there's nothing really special involved. I personally wouldn't worry about additives for the fuel, but that's just me. And I personally wouldn't mess with a K&N filter.

Re hearing, in the mid '90s I bought an '89 Jag a few months before I got my first hearing aids. Once I got them, I wondered what all those strange noises I was picking up from the car!

Where we differ is that I cheated the bank out of the loan by just buying the car outright.

jgilliam1955 likes this.
  8. pleasedpriusowner

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hi eliotb! Nice to hear from you; thank you for the reply! Your insights on the tires, mud flaps, fuel additives, and K&N filter are all appreciated. I'm still hoping others will weigh in on the questions and see what's up!

I have Seimans Pure Carat Five (I think) hearing aids that bluetooth from the cell phone directly to the hearing aids (via the remote control on a lanyard around my neck) and also bluetooth to the car if the remote is left turned off. They work great! Oticon is an excellent manufacturer...I hope you get along well with them!

Great to hear from you!

Anyone else with some ideas? Please let me know. Thank you!

Dave (pleased prius owner)

9. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Every independent test of the K&N filter I have read tells me two things: It passes air easier. It lets through more and bigger particles.

Since I buy an air cleaner to clean the air and the K&N doesn't do that as well ....

10. pleasedpriusowner

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hi mikefocke! Thank you for the reply! Great to hear from you!

Anyone else?

Dave (ppo)

11. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As for the tires, yes they are fairly noisy. The problem is they are also the most fuel efficient 17" tires available for the Prius right now. So you may swap them out for a less noisy tire but you will likely lose mpg too. If the noise is too much for you then I say to hell with mpg and get a tire that enables you to enjoy your (the bank's) car. For now, try running Toyota's recommended air pressure. Higher pressure will make the tires louder.

Good alternative tires are the Primacy MXM4, Ecopia EP422, Turanza Serenity Plus, Perelli P7, Goodyear ComforTread (205/50/17), etc.

Did you get a cochlear implant?

12. eliotb

eliotb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Dave: I've got the lanyard remote/Bluetooth streamer too. I use it all the time. The only problem I have with my (government work phone) Blackberry in the car is getting it to pair with the car. I have to shut down the streamer to get the car to recognize the phone. Once that happens, the sound through the car system is much better than what I get pipped into my ears by the Bluetooth streamer.

Eliot

13. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My noise level went down when I replaced OM tires, with Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires. Gas mileage is about 1.5 MPG better than OM tires.

14. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Repair costs down the road for fixing rust started by rock chips in paint > anything you would ever lose in mpgs by having mud guards. It would be way, way, way inside of normal variations. If you have to drill any holes, be sure you prime/paint them before proceding with installation.

Every low profile tire I've ever had was noisy. Prii have little sound proofing. It is what it is.

I've had K&N filters before. Was never able to prove any better mileage in anything they were used in. Huge purchase price. Will never get your money's worth vs paper filters because you have to buy filter cleaner and new oil. I just buy new paper filters and don't worry about it any more.

I've had good luck using SeaFoam in my gas tanks and cans. It works wonders on old motorcycles that haven't run for years, and I put it in my 5gal cans for mowers and such. Haven't had any problems since I started using it. If you ever actually FEEL your car getting blocked up you might try that. Otherwise it's only going to lighten your wallet.

15. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have also used K&N filters in other cars. The Prius just doesn't need the extra air that an Otto cycle ICE might need. The oil on the filter can also migrate to the MAF sensor and cause problems. The general consensus on Priuschat is that the K&N filter is not worth the money.