1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

questions: push power button while moving?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kirk, May 19, 2005.

1. Kirk

Kirk New Member

what would happen if your passenger pushed the power button while you were moving at 40 or 50 miles per hour. lets say the passenger thought it was the power for the radio

2. yoda

yoda Member

Re: questions

The computer will b**ch at you (it'll beep) but everything will be ok.

P.S. Don't TRY it..... I don't KNOW that it does that, it's what I've read....

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does it shift to neutral when the Power button is pressed or just beep? We know it shifts to neutral if it has anything to do with the transmission (like going to reverse at 50mph). I think someone did try it.

4. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've tried everything but hit the Power button while going 50. Ive tried all positions from the shifter, and hitting the Park button, never tried the power button..... :)

5. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

LOL, I've wondered the same thing...

Who DARES push the power button at 50+.... :D

6. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    Just FYI, I tapped that bad boy quite by accident yesterday at 60 MPH and nothing happened at all.

I don't even remember hearing a beep.

7. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Yet another reason why I want to be able to play a digitized sound when the Prius starts up:

I desperately want the Startup sound to be "Push the button, Frank" from Mystery Science Theater 3000.

[​IMG]

8. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've seen it somewhere that if you press and hold the power button for more than 3 seconds while the vehicle is moving the hybrid system will shut down.
    That is when not depressing the brake, I think. I'll have to check it out next time I'm in the Prius.

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

From page 131 of owner's manual:

If, in an emergency, you must turn the
    hybrid system off while the vehicle is
    moving, press the “POWER†switch more
    than 3 seconds. At this time, the “ACCâ€
    mode and shift position “N†are automatically
    enabled.

10. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, Dan
    That's where I read it.....memory is short but some of it is still in there. ;-

11. GeekyDragon

GeekyDragon New Member

So out of curiosity, woudl it be possible for a freak malfunction to occur where your gas got stuck and the electronics didn't work so you couldn't shift to neutral?

I know this is very unlikely, but with by-wire tech, everything is controlled by the computer. If the car for some reason won't shift to neutral and the gas is stuck I doubt the hydraulic backup brakes would be effective.

I'm just thinking about that guy in Europe a few months back who claims his cruise control got stuck and couldn't stop. Just wondering if something like that could actually happen with the Prius.

12. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

You forget, there's no shifting in this car. Neutral is simply the absense of torque from the motors. No power to the motors, no torque from them. Only if the parking pawl is engaged are you NOT in neutral if you have no power.

So, if you activate emergency HV shutdown, if the computer doesn't engage the pawl and the inverter doesn't have any power, you are in neutral.

But you did mention if the electronics didn't work. Well, the computers are actively doing so many active checks, I doubt it would let the system to continue to run if there was any problem.

13. Mystery Squid

I thought I read somewhere...

"When suddenly, uncontrollably, accelerating toward an immovable solid object of noteworthy size, press..."

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"91211)</div>
    I would imagine that would be quite nerve wracking...

:party:

14. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

It might stop you from accelerating, but won't stop you. Need brakes (which will still work) for that.

15. GeekyDragon

GeekyDragon New Member

But if the computer is locked up or something when you're moving, pushing the power button wouldn't do anything. I'm thinking more akin to your computer locking up but processes still running.

If say, you were moving at 60mph (maybe with cruise control on) and the computer had some type of lock-up, then you really have no way of manually disengaging the transmission or shutting down the car.

I know this is highly unlikely but I just wonder if Toyota considered this scenario?

16. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

If the HV computer is locked up, then it won't be able to provide the signals to run the inverter and motors. Car coasts at best, or stops at worst.

Like I said, there are checks. I am sure they have a watchdog process in every critical ECU. A watchdog process must get heartbeat responses from the other processes or else it resets. Actually, this is usualluy done in hardware. A timer is always counting down to reset, and the routines are constantly resetting the countdown. If the CPU hangs, then it won't reset the timer, timer reaches 0, hard reset occurs.

I am also sure that the 3 second press of the power button sends a hardware soft reset to the power module, which will then poll the other ECUs.

As for the accelerator, there are actually 2 accelerator sensors, and they need to match. If they don't, HV will set a DTC and light the M.I.L. It may still allow you to drive if it senses proper signalling from at least one of the sensors.

17. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

i actually tried the "3 second shut off" feature...

It powers down everything, including power steering. Only the radio works.

Also, if you press the power button at above 2mph+, nothing at all will happen. If you press park 2mph+, it will throw the car in neutral.

18. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"91381)</div>
    Got it.

Thanks!!

:silly:

:D