1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions regarding adding subwoofer to 2010 Prius V

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by PriusMIA, Dec 28, 2009.

1. PriusMIA

PriusMIA New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I recently purchased a new 2010 Prius V with Navi.
    I'm considering purchasing a 6 inch Bazooka to give my audio system a little more body to the sound system which might I add is not bad but not what I would have expected out of a car with so many bells and whistles.
    My questions is, will adding a Bazooka hurt the battery of the car in any way?
    I'm concerned since this is my first hybrid and don't know all to much about the electronic system and if adding audio will hurt over all performance of vehicle.

Would appreciate some input from other Prius owners.

Thanks.
    Drew

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Unless you wired things incorrectly, no you won't hurt a thing. Enjoy the volume. :)

3. LindaMWS

LindaMWS New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I just "upgraded" from a 2008 Prius to the Prius V with the ATP. I need to decide between the 10" or the 8" bazooka subwoofer. There is no real 'bass' with the Green system...even with the bass set at 10 and the midtones and treble set at 1! Any insight as to which size I should have installed?

4. jc562

jc562 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am in the same boat but i want to add a 12" maybe 15" Alpine type R. From my random browsing i've heard that it will effect your mpg (less so with the lower power consuming bazooka) since it drains the 12v battery faster so the engine will have to run longer to keep everything charged. Also there is the added weight (again less so with the lighter bazooka set up) which will effect mpg.

As for hurting the battery i would have to agree with spiderman unless you end up draining the 12v battery then it may decrease its life expectancy. As for the traction hybrid battery i am not positive of any effects on it but i personally think it will be fine (with no information backing up my opinion) The hybrid battery and components do have a pretty extensive i think 8yr, 100k mi or in CA the hybrid battery has a 10yr 150k mi warranty

5. DrScooter

DrScooter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I installed a Kenwood KSC-SW10 back in January. There was (is) still the thread. For ease of use, anyway this is a unit that will fit under the passenger seat without a problem (I have a 2011)

I think almost everyone agrees that the sound in the Prius sucks. While replacing all the speakers and sound system would really be the way to go, it's just too much work and too expensive. I did have this unit installed as I'm none too handy. Adding this sub has been a major improvement in sound and the install is invisable with the extra sub-woofer control in the glove-box. It does not interfere with the seat. The unit I thought costs around $125 but when I went through Froogle it lists at about $150, as I recall the Pro-Install was $100