1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by makar, Oct 11, 2007.

1. makar

makar Junior Member

I have had my 08 Prius, package 5 for a week or so.

I'm a little confused by the A/C and AUTO settings. Please let me know if I'm on the right track...

AUTO applies only to A/C. It will choose the appropriate fan and air circulation settings for you.

I have trouble turning the AUTO function OFF, and have to turn climate controls OFF, then choose A/C if I don't want AUTO. Is this the way this has to be done?

If I want to turn on the heat, I have to turn the climate controls to OFF. Then choose the temp and fan settings myself. Is this correct?

And if I choose front DEFROST, I don't have to turn on the A/C, do I? That is managed automatically?

Sorry, it's a little confusing.

_____

Anti-theft device... I guess I didn't notice, but it is normal for the little red key symbol to flash when the car is turned off, isn't it? I must not have noticed it at first.

And what does the anti-theft deterrent actually do? Will the car lights flash and an alarm go off if someone tries to enter the car without the registered key fob?

_____

I'm a little confused by the passenger air bag settings. I generally do not have a passenger. So when I get in the passenger airbag light comes on -- I see OFF and ON, and ON is highlighted. Then both OFF and ON is no longer lit, and I see only PASSENGER. What does this mean? Is the airbag ON or OFF?

____

Sorry for all the questions, and I am reading the manual, but it is a little vague in places. I appreciate any info you can provide.

2. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    AC auto controls cooling and heating. You can set the temp you want and the auto setting will cool or heat as needed. It will also choose fan speeds and select proper vents. In short, you can set the temp, leave it on auto, and forget about it

3. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "Passenger" on the display over there is normal.
    If it doesn't say "On", it's OFF.

You can EITHER manually control all of the climate controls, or you can set the AUTO A/C on, and let it control the climate. You set the desired temperature, it does the rest... EXCEPT the Defrost and Rear Defroster. You control those, manually.

My Prius doesn't have an alarm, but it does have the little amber key symbol when the car is off and the key is not in the ignition. I think that it signifies that the key is out of the car, and that the engine disabling thing is on (yes, that means only your keyfob can start it).

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(makar @ Oct 11 2007, 05:26 PM) [snapback]524317[/snapback]</div>
    In AUTO mode, the fan and mode is controlled automatically, yes. Even the fresh air and recirc is also automatically done if heat is needed (this is different from the auto-recirc found on luxury cars)

AUTO works WITH or WITHOUT the A/C. If the A/C button is lit, then the air conditioning compressor will come on and off as necessary to provide the temperature and humidity levels. If the A/C button is not lit, then the compressor will never come on so even though everything else is automatic, it might feel a bit muggy in the summer and more often than none, the computer will turn the fan speed up high.

If you want to turn off the AUTO function, just press any of the soft buttons (fan or mode) to go into manual mode

If you want heat, just turn the temperature up. If you want heat in manual mode, combine this step with the one I mentioned above. The Prius' system is a two-tiered system that recirculates air in the feet level to provide quick heat and fresh air at the head level to keep the windows clear. It's a very sophisticated system. It also keeps the fan off at first so that it doesn't blow cold air at your feet. Once it's warm enough, it'll blow lightly then harder as the engine warms up.

If you choose DEFROST, everything is set automatically. The A/C compressor is turned on and fresh air is selected.
    Yes. It flashes if the system is set. When you turn off the car and lock it, it stays solid for a while (I think it's 30 seconds but don't quote me on this).

The theft deterrent system includes an engine immobiliser and an alarm. The alarm sounds.. well an alarm if the following occurs:

- the hood is forcefully open
    - the battery is disconnected then reconnected again
    - the doors were forcefully opened
    - the doors were unlocked from the inside

The engine immobiliser makes it difficult to steal the car by requiring a key code registered in your fob before the car will allow itself to be started.

It shows OFF when there's something (usually a person) in the front seat WITH the seatbelt buckled and it determines that the weight of the person is below the recommended weight for an airbag deployment.

I think ON is self-explanatory. The airbag will deploy

If nothing shows, it's off and there's nothing on the seat that the seat sensor detects.