1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Quick answer - do I need to replace both HID bulbs at once?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jellybug, Jul 23, 2013.

1. jellybug

jellybug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    My driver's side HID is starting to go out as we see it turn off once in awhile driving at night. An officer stopped us and gave us a 15-day notice that we have to show the court house it works or else we get fined. That 15 days is up in 4 days. Within that 15 days I have ordered a pair of genuine Philips bulbs, and tried to install them. I ended up breaking off the little flap that I can get to easiest to turn the dome counter clock wise. That thing will not turn. I'm taking it to a service dept and they charge $93 an hour. Reason I'm asking is because if I can get them to change one, maybe I can try to change the passenger side if and when it does go out. Otherwise I can take it right back to the same dealership for that bulb.

I know there's the ballast and all that jazz, but is it okay that I just replace the dying bulb and replace the other one when it starts to die?

2. Rich12

Rich12 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK, here's the deal: you need to push IN and turn like a bottle of Advil. Failing that, drill a hole in the cap, insert a long screw-driver and turn; it'll come off in a split second.

No you don't need to replace both at the same time. They fail and it's just a part of dealing w/Prii HIDs.