1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Quick Comparo: 22 Prime to 24 Prime

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Downrange, Dec 21, 2023.

1. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Christmas came early! Traded my 22 for a new Wind Chill Pearl SE yesterday! This was a fairly tough decision, but the initial impressions are very positive. It helps that Canada actively promotes EVs and pHEVs with generous rebates, but I hated to let the 22 go! Things I will miss about it include:

- not having to duck my head to get in and out (but I've already re-trained to do so)
    - a bit more steering feel on center (but, again, I'm adjusting, the Gen 5 with 17s has exceptional lane stability, the wife's XLE with 19s, not so much.)
    - a bit more storage area, and easier access to the hatch area (bigger hatch)
    - about two inches of headroom - (being tall means having to adjust the seat just right to avoid static cling of the few remaining hairs atop!)
    - it's ugly duckling looks (not!).

Things I immediately notice that are better:

- it is more than a little bit quieter; I tested my wife's Gen 5 XLE against the 22 Prime with a sound meter and it came in about 7db quieter overall. It seems like even more, subjectively.
    - the base audio system is much improved over the 22 base system. They seem to have finally upgraded the dash tweeters, which I've done to the last two Priuses I've had. I don't think I'll need to get the Infinity drop-in replacements this time, but will probably add a small sub under the seat.
    - the 24 SE has a lot more safety features, including parking assist, front and rear crossing alerts, lane change alert, etc. I really didn't expect the SE to have all these features that wife's XLE has, so that was a pleasant surprise. The Canadian SE also has headlight auto on-off, which I welcome.

I ordered the SE specifically to get the 17 inch wheels and avoid the pleather seats and "traffic jam nanny camera", which I do not like (and to save >4K). I wish it had the dash accent lighting the XLE has, and the full-length rear light bar, but I can live without these for the savings rendered. I was able to score a set of 195/60/17 Michelin X-Ice, and the dealer was good enough to install them in the prep. The car definitely puts a smile on my face, and I think the 22 will be forgotten soon enough. If you're on the fence about trading up, take this as a strong "DO IT!"

deev, Tideland Prius, nerfer and 4 others like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!

nice review, Merry Christmas!

Downrange likes this.
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Always good to hear when an upgrade owner is satisfied

Downrange likes this.
  4. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats! I'll just note the traffic jam nanny camera is still present on the SE. You can disable it from the speedo screen. Unless it changes by province, you don't get TJA because it's not included in the free subscriptions but the car can still do it if you pay for it. For some reason Toyota Canada advertises it weirdly on their website.

For the ambient dash lights, they're actually pretty easy to add back if you don't go for the OEM parts. Connectors and everything are there. Cost me about $20 on mine.

Tideland Prius and Downrange like this.
  5. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    I didn't know about those features. Thanks for the info. I might look into the dash accent lights. :)

6. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Congrats!

The things you listed are basically the same impression I got in my test drive, except, having JBL, I found the audio quite lacking.

I have the 2021 Prius Prime Limited; so, it does have things like BSM, RCTA, parking sensors, etc. that you didn't have with your Gen 4, and it has things the Gen 5 SE doesn't have such as JBL, heads-up display, auto-dimming mirror with Homelink, fog lights, wireless charger, etc.

One thing you forgot to mention in your "things I will miss" list is the money in your bank account. ;)

All Gen 5 Prius Prime trims have the TJA/nanny camera as far as I know.

#6 Gokhan, Dec 22, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2023
    Downrange likes this.
  7. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Surprised you pulled the trigger! Your comments in Gokhan's biased and somewhat fictional review on the G5 were quite negative. I guess you "came around"...?

Regardless, congrats on the purchase! You bought a helluva car!

8. MIkeDr

MIkeDr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Do you feel like the new Prius is now a “quiet car”? Our Gen4 Prius I thought was excessively loud.

9. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Well, it's all relative. It's not a Bentley, but it's a lot quieter than my 22 Prime. It's also quieter than the wife's 23 XLE AWD, with its 19 inch wheels. Now that hers has its winter 17 inch Michelins, it's also a lot quieter. 7 db measured, is significant.

mountaineer likes this.
  10. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Did I mention the direct rebate (>8K) and a fair trade-in? :)

Tideland Prius and Gokhan like this.
  11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    7dB is a lot. Wow. Wasn’t expecting the new Prius to be that much quieter. Good to know. Congrats on the new car!
    So someone can be critical and still buy the car, right? ;)

It really depends on the model. Our 2018 Prime is noticeably quieter than the 2016 Touring. The Prime has the acoustic front door glass that the 2016 doesn’t, among other Prime-specific sound deadening or aero additions.

Downrange likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Old vs new tires could be a factor.

Tideland Prius and Downrange like this.
  13. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    I'm trying to link to the noise test below. FWIW, both cars had stock all-seasons, but the 22 Prime's were a bit more worn. I think the 19 inch setup on the 23 AWD is a bit louder than the new 24 Prime with 17s, as well.

Are new Prius any quieter? | Page 2 | PriusChat

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What are the new Primes running on? The old ones were Bridgestone Ecopia EP 422 Plus IIRC.

15. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Those are museum pieces now. ;)

There are many OEM tires, including Michelin.

It is interesting that the owners are reporting that the 17" wheels are handling and riding much better than the 19" wheels. It is incredible that Toyota sacrificed so much in fuel economy, BEV range, handling, and ride to make the car more appealing to a small fragment of buyers.

hill and Downrange like this.
  16. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Toya Extensa 195-60-17H here

17. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just put new Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ on my Mazda, which was the OEM tire for that. I've been quite happy with them. Good durability, quiet, no problem in the snow.

Gokhan likes this.
  18. pgb205

pgb205 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    Five
    the headspace in the 24 model is a concern for me. I'm 5'10" and plan to drive a lot AND camp inside the car? I wish I could see one in person to fold the seats flat and see how much I can sit up, and if I can lay down. Plenty of people have shown this done, but in older prius'

19. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Is there any reason you can't go look at one?

20. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You'll have plenty of space for driving and you can lay down. It's about 6' of space laying down trunk to front seats. You can also move the front seats forward for extra space. You will not sit up straight in the back with the seats folded. A Rav 4 or the likes would have a more cavernous opening.