1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

quick hooking up an amp question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by morpheusx, Aug 7, 2007.

1. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am about to hook up my amp and sub.
    I have the non jbl system and still plan on using the factory radio by tapping into the rears. My question is where should I connect the remote power wire to turn the amp off when not in use?

2. beboyle

beboyle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Aug 7 2007, 04:40 PM) [snapback]492116[/snapback]</div>
    There isn't a good lead out of the radio, so you'll have to tap the aux power someplace. I used the center console aux power plug (the "cigarette lighter"). The panel that it is on pops off easily. Carefully pull out the single press-in anchor on the right side of the panel, then pull straight out. That will give you access to the back of the plug, which is powered only when at least ACC power is on.

3. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bruce Boyle @ Aug 7 2007, 08:00 PM) [snapback]492124[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, did you also tap into the rears for the signal? My plan is to convert the speaker level inputs then use a Y adapter to plug it into my 4 ch. amp and use 2 of the channels to go back to the rear speakers, the other 2 ch.s will be bridged for one subwoofer.

4. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bruce Boyle @ Aug 7 2007, 08:00 PM) [snapback]492124[/snapback]</div>
    I've got the JBL system, so my knowledge of a non-JBL system could be wrong, but I think there is still an amp under the passenger seat. you should be able to tap the ACC wire from it if you didn't want to get under the dash.

5. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It shouldn't matter whether you tap the front or the rears in a non-jbl Prius. They both get a full signal. Since you're only adding a sub, the rears are a good place. I tapped into the power outlet in the center console for ACC power.

6. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Aug 7 2007, 09:25 PM) [snapback]492159[/snapback]</div>
    thanks exactly the answers I needed, in the past I have tapped into the fuse box but this is a much simpler solution.

7. beboyle

beboyle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Aug 7 2007, 05:10 PM) [snapback]492132[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but you got good answers. Yes, I tapped into the rears and as others have noted it works fine.

8. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, everything worked out great, I will post a few pictures of my small simple single subwoofer system later if I can remember when I get home. Sounds pretty good definitely was the kick that I was missing. By the way when I had the rear door panels off to trace back the speaker wire, I couldn't help but notice that the rear door speakers SUCK.... They are the equivalent of the $4 single speakers they sell in Target and Wal Mart, naturally I assume the front door speakers are equally as bad. So add that to the list as next. Does anyone have any suggestions for replacement rear door speakers that fit easily.

9. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    here are the pictures, definitely Factory Door speakers are next.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. martinisaacanywhere

martinisaacanywhere Supa Memba

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Oly, do you know which wire to tap in the dash to get REM power?

11. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The rear speakers do suck. Even on the JBL package, they are super cheap looking, and have 1/3rd the magnet size, compared with the front speakers.

12. ChiefoftheChiss

ChiefoftheChiss New Member

Hello Friends!!

I am sorry to steal the thread but it looks like this is finished. I am a long time lurker here and was hoping that perhaps the author of this thread would be able to help or perhaps other mighty contributors!

I have a 2005 w/JBL

I have already tapped into the rear speakers (via splicing in from behind the amp) and pulled the REM from the JBL amp (this might also be my problem!)

basically right now my amp will stay on until i turn up my stereo to 40 and then it turns off.
    I am using 4g wire from battery and 4g to ground from amp.
    I have the Scosche SLC-4 attempting to convert my rear speakers to line in.

other problem is that even when the thing is on it doesn't make sound :'(

so... ANY thoughts let me know.

I'd be happy to take pics or anything!!

thanks everyone!