1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Quick Oil change question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bohous, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Changed my oil today and realized I was 1/2 quart shy (I thought I still had 1/2 quart from last oil change but do not). I have been using a blend because that's what the previous owner had been using. Problem is there are only a couple places that sell 5w30 blend and I don't feel like making a special trip for that 1 bottle this afternoon. I know you can't go back to dino once you go synth but can I top off that last 1/2 quart with full synthetic? If so will I then have issues going back to blend next change? I guess I should just suck it up and go full synth anyway but I just need to get through this change in the meantime.
    Thanks.

2. cyberprius

cyberprius Mtn Bikes don't need foglights

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I went through something like this awhile back when all the stores were closed on a Sunday and all I could get was a mix/match of oils.

Found the following Mobil Oil website, which basicially says, if I understand it correctly, is that it is fine, but don't do it because you should only buy our Mobil 1. LOL!!!
    Will Mixing Synthetic with Conventional Oil Cause a Gel to Form?

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since you are currently using a blend, you could top off the last 1/2 quart with either mineral oil (aka dino) or with synthetic oil. Further, I question the assertion that you can't go back to a quality mineral oil once synthetic oil has been used.

4. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You can do this with no problem. Also, you should be aware that there is absolutely no problem going from synthetic to dino or vice versa. It has been this way for many years. Also there is no problem mixing them if you need to add a bit.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What does the dipstick read right now? I'll bet a nickel that the level is *not* a half-quart under the ADD mark.

6. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks folks. I had always heard that you can't revert to dino once you have gone synth but I guess I have received poor information. Maybe they were referring to the gelling cyberprius referred to on the Mobil1 site.

Richard, I haven't checked the dipstick since just after I changed the oil but I suspect you are probably correct and will not show that I am dangerously low.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seriously: *check the dipstick* before you add any more oil. It might already be nearly to the FULL mark.

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The first synthetic oils that came out about 15-20 years ago were not compatible with "normal" oil. You had to clean out the old oil before adding the synthetic. I know from experience that oil would catalyze into plastic if mixed. Modern synthetics are fully mixable. Especially "blend" synthetic oils, which come mixed.

But DO check the dipstick, and add enough to -just- bring it to the "full" mark. Even if it's down 1/4" it will be just fine. In fact, it will be fine even down 1/2". It's just that the higher the volume of oil, the more diluted the contaminants will be.

Unless you're racing and applying high side loads in corners, in which case you want as much oil in there as possible so you don't get the pickup out of it from sloshing. But I don't think -I- could get that high a side G in the Prius, much less from acceleration. ;)