1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Quick Price on New Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by actuary32174, Feb 8, 2008.

1. actuary32174

actuary32174 Junior Member

I am planning on car shopping this weekend for the following Prius:

Package 2
    Metallic Red exterior, Bisque Leather inside
    Self Dimming mirror with homelink
    floor mats

I have gotten quotes from 3 dealerships so far:

1. The first dealership is one I bought my previous Prius at. They are quoting me $26,784 plus tax, title and tags.

2. The second one is $26,193

3. The third one is the closest to me and have the worst reputation going. Their initial quote quote was $28,244. When I indicated that that his price was alot higher than the others, he suddenly indicated that "Oops, I added in the leather of $1,499 in twice. So sorry". Needless to say, they will not get the business.

All of these prices include a $699 dealer prep. charge.

Looking on Kelley Blue Book, the New Car price is $24,847. On Edmond's $25,814.

Questions:

Does dealer 2 have a reasonable price?
    Is the dealer prep charge negotiable?
    What is a reasonable charge to pay for this car?

All advice is welcome

2. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My understanding is that Package 2 has NEITHER leather seats NOR Homelink mirror which come with Package 6 and Package 3, respectively. If I'm correct, then these are dealer mods that are not comparable to KBB, Edmunds, etc. IMHO, such dealer mods are prone to high margins for the dealer. My dealer in KS doesn't do that, but I've seen it alot in Oklahoma and the prices seem higher. Again, hard to tell.

Can you get a clean Package 2 price and compare their mod prices with aftermarket options?

In my experience and reading, the destination charge in not negotiable (Shipping charge by Toyota to dealer). You referred instead to dealer prep, which I have not seen. Perhaps you meant dest. chg.?

I've read posts here recently of people paying $1 over invoice, which I think is great. My dealer thinks MSRP is about right. We'll talk more...

Personally, I'd price a clean package (whatever you want), and find my own aftermarket stuff.

glen

3. Lcruiser

Lcruiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Where are you located?

4. actuary32174

actuary32174 Junior Member

I live near Daytona Beach, Florida.

5. forrestt

forrestt New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow, those prices are crazy.

I just bought a 2008 package 6 last Thursday and paid $2,000 UNDER sticker. I did pay $92 for "document fee" which I think is BS, but considering the discount I could live with it.

I'd say shop more dealers. For those kinds of savings, you could afford to fly to another city and drive it back.

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I think your first check should be at Toyota.com. There select "build your car", and you'll get the MSRP for the car you want. You'll also get the "straight goods" on what is and is not included in package 2. Then go from there. Dealer prep. shouldn't cost more than $200. It takes an hour or so to do. Delivery charges will vary depending on how far from the nearest port the dealer is. Aftermarket leather should cost no more than $1200. If it's more they are charging too much! Search this forum and you'll find a recent post regarding having leather installed into a Prius, including photos and costs. It was done by the same company the dealer uses.

Be aware there are three possibilities re leather. You can get a high number package and get "factory leather", installed at manufacture in Japan. You can get "port installed leather", installed at the port of entry by a contractor. Finally, you can get "dealer installed leather", installed by a company that specializes in this. All but "factory leather" will have trouble giving you a leather covered steering wheel. That will often be the way you can tell what you have, though sometimes the installer will swap out the steering wheel for a leather covered one (from factory parts).

The aftermarket leather topic is here:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-modifications/42531-new-leather-interior.html

7. PRIUS007

PRIUS007 James Bond -007

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    All good advice here. Whatever you do, TAKE YOUR TIME and make sure you don't get talked into something in a hurry.

I have seen too many people get 'taken' by dealers. There was just a post here not too long ago about someone who was supposed to get an aftermarket mirror and after the sale found out it couldn't be done.

As one person put it, see if you can get a 'clean' price on the exact same vehicle and then go from there. Or go for a fully loaded package #6 and shoot for the $2000 off MSRP. Don't let a dealer tell you it isn't possible either. Carmax.com has them listed on their website for $1500 off MSRP.

Good luck and good hunting... :cool:

8. onlynark

onlynark Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I remember last year toyota giving 0% financing and $2000 off MSRP. No need to negotiate. I dont know why you cant get the same deals nowadays.

9. route246

route246 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm in the SF Bay Area and currently have probes out for pricing on a package #2. Basically dealer cost is what I'm hearing, some as high as $300 over. I haven't tried in earnest yet but I'm ready to close once I collect enough bids. I plan to pay cash but if I can get 0% I'll take that and put the cash in the bank and earn a little on it while I pay down the balance.

10. LittleRedHen

LittleRedHen New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Oh no no no no.

I live in Los Angeles, and I'm going in tomorrow to pick up my new 2008 Pkg 5 for $25,016 + tax and licensing. Like you, I went to Edmunds.com, then I emailed about 6 dealers in the area to see what their quotes were (this is an Edmunds option - so convenient). As each one would respond with a lower and lower price, I would cut-and-paste and re-send to the other dealers to see if they could beat it. MSRP on Toyota.com is $26,415, and I was initially offered around or above that price. With a few days and a few effortless emails - I got 4 dealers who agreed to the $25,016 price (and they're letting me put 5K down on my American Express so I can earn miles) I'm sure if I had more time I could better...but I feel good enough to go for it!

If that many dealers were able to rally, then there is still clearly a profit being made. I'd say hold out until you get the best offer - which should include waiving any ridiculous extra charges! Here's a quote from Bankrate.com about dealer prep charges:

"Dealer preparation, or dealer prep or preparation charges -- An additional charge that dealers try to impose on buyers. It represents pure profit for the dealers, who have already been paid by the manufacturer for the cost of preparing the car for sale."

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You & I don't live in the SET Region. Down there there is an extra charge tacked on to every car that seems to be non-negotiable. To avoid this charge the OP would have to buy the car out of state.

As an aside, why do so many members omit a location? Even an approximate location will facilitate more accurate replies.

12. wtfjr36

wtfjr36 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi
    We also are from the Daytona area & bought our 2006 Prius August one year ago from the dealer here in town who at a time, they charged nothing over the FACTORY MSRP, & the dealer fee was down to $200. About one month ago they were several thousand over factory MSRP. I say the FACTORY MSRP & not the dealer "add on" sticker that looks looks alot like an extension of the factory sticker & is right next to the factory MSRP sticker.
    We also recently bought a 2008 Highlander Hybrid Limited from Earl Stewart Toyota in North Palm Beach FL for $3200 under facory MSRP & NO DEALER FEE ! That is their policy, no dealer fee. It was well worth the drive !!
    When we bought there we dealt with Peter Rosemblum in their Internet Sales Dept who told us that he was selling new Prius then at about $200 under Factory MSRP & no dealer fee.
    Look them up online & see what they have to offer. Tell Peter that Bill French sent you.
    Good luck !
    Bill in FL