1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Quick question about body kits..

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by timmay1215, Jul 12, 2007.

1. timmay1215

timmay1215 New Member

Don't know if this should be in this section but...

Will a body kit like this
    [​IMG]
    lower the MPG by a lot?

2. aznDragonX

aznDragonX Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(timmay1215 @ Jul 12 2007, 03:59 PM) [snapback]477781[/snapback]</div>
    It shouldn't unless you have those big HEAVY rims to go with it! BTW..there is a GB on Kenstyle kit right now.

- Jason

3. timmay1215

timmay1215 New Member

darn, too bad the GB isn't in like 6-7 months...i just got my permit and just started saving haha

4. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It'll lower your mileage, 'cause all of a sudden every rice rocket within miles will be challenging you at stoplights and in the twisties.

I hope no one does this to their car, until they first figure out how to extract a few more ponies from under the hood.

And, yes, it'll be the rims (not to mention, that ginormous spoiler on the back of the kenstyle car which was pictured originally) which will lower your mileage. The spoiler will probably also do a number on the car's performance as speeds increase; lotsa drag, for sure.

Wondering, though, *how much do* all of those fiberglass parts weigh, really, once they're installed? I'll bet it's got to be a coupla hundred pounds, including the hardware, paint, etc.

Might I ask, why even bother with this in the first place? Why not spend the money on performance parts instead (or will you do that, too?) I don't know, I've always preferred 'go' over 'show.'

I'm over 40; that's probably it...
    [smile]

5. aznDragonX

aznDragonX Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jul 12 2007, 05:26 PM) [snapback]477821[/snapback]</div>
    I like the look of the bodykit. But like you said, I also preferred go over show. Like my previous car Lex IS300 is nothing but go and no show. I just love the sleeper looking cars that can eat BMW M3, Vett for breakfast.

- Jason

6. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jul 12 2007, 08:26 PM) [snapback]477821[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe 40 years ago body kits were made out of fiber glass...
    Unless you buy an el-cheap'o-off-brand kit, most body kits are poly-ureathean (however you spell it). It probably weighs around 10 lbs total. 18" magnesium wheels are actually lighter than the piece of crap toyota stock wheels. Spoilers....lol, unless you have a rear wheel drive car, they are just dumb. Its like watching a big oxy-moron drive down the street.

I want those headlights...

7. timmay1215

timmay1215 New Member

I wanted to get some performance stuff too, but i'm not a good looker. Will it raise mpg if you add air intake, thats what my brother told me but idk...

8. JaviNOS

JaviNOS Mod Freak

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slair @ Jul 13 2007, 12:34 PM) [snapback]478170[/snapback]</div>
    Yes the headlights are cool I want em too!

The front spoiler actually gives the car a completely different look with that lower grille covered a bit...

but it will hurt your mpg(the same as adding anything to the car that didnt come with it)... and your wallet