1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Quick question about non NA seats (w/ height adjust)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ericisbacchus, Apr 30, 2010.

1. ericisbacchus

ericisbacchus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Say I am able to come across a LHD driver's seat w/ height adjust from a salvage yard or something in Europe...

How hard is the swap? Is all I have to do is take out my North American driver seat and pop in the european one and I'm good to start adjusting the seat height? Or is it more complicated than that?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I assume your car currently has side airbags.

If the replacement seat has a side airbag then you should be OK.

3. ericisbacchus

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah. I've got pkg #4, which has the curtain airbags, I think.

I'll ask my relatives in Germany to be on the lookout for a salvage Prius w/ a driver's seat in decent shape.

Does the height adjust in those non NA Gen 2's work the same as the Gen III one? Just curious.

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does your driver's seat have a tag on the seatback side reading 'SRS SIDE AIRBAG' ?

If your's is an airbag seat, get an airbag seat, if not, get non-airbag seat. Like P. Wong said, you should be ok then, but I can't guarantee it.

About the HA - yes. You crank up the handle to raise up and vise versa, like the Gen3 Prius. The action is very similar.

I sit with just 2 cranks up from full down (not much) and the sitting height is totally normal to me.

5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you find a 2005 - 2008 Corolla at a dealer and have a sit, you're pretty much sitting in a height adjustable Prius seat, save some different fabric and foam shape.

Let us know if you locate and can import a LH Prius seat.

6. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It's much easier (and cheaper) to just take a Corolla frame and modify it to fit the Prius floorpan and seat foam. It took me a Saturday to do it.

7. ericisbacchus

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Hmm...so what modifications have to be done? What if I don't care about the aesthetics (that it looks different)? Can the Corolla seat just bolt right in? I assume the side airbag things applies here too?

should this work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYO...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do keep in mind IF you modify your original Prius seat ....

1) You won't be able to trade car into a dealer

2) If you sell the car with modded seat, you may be liable for any subsequent seat failure

3) If you want to buy a new Prius seat to replace modified one when you do sell the car, the price is over $2,500

4) You may find a used Prius seat at a salvage yard to modify. I got incredibly lucky and found a nice used seat for $300. I've seen used one's priced over $600 for a Prius airbag seat (apparently a nice one). I hard a hard time finding good used seats, but that one on eBay looks decent.

5) Toyota left much too much legroom in rear seat of Gen2 (I have 3.5" between my knees and back of front seat) while shoving front seats and steering wheel too close to the dash.

6) With my seat slid 1 1/4" back and 2" down, B pillar does not block my side view nor does seatbelt lift off my shoulder - the frame was always there for a better seat / steering wheel placement. Hopefully the original seating designers on this one have been let go long ago.

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That seat appears pretty clean in the pics, not much rust on lower frame. I'd need to see it in person to verify lower frame is not bent. If car was not broadsided, seat probably straight.

Corolla seat does not drop into a Prius. See post #5 in link.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...eight-adjustable-drivers-seat-2009-prius.html

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    jelloslug used a method to build lower portion of Corolla seat, floorpan and height adjust hardware, into Prius upper portion. Move Prius mount feet over to Corolla rails.

Solar_Powered and I used a Corolla frame, moved the Prius headrest bracket, 4 mounting feet, wiring, foam and fabric over to get an HA Prius seat.

6 or 1/2 dozen

11. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As for trading in to a dealer: Chances are they would not even notice. Even if you did the right thing and informed them there is little chance that it would change anything. As for liability just as ling as you inform the next owner before the purchase (in writing) there is little that they could do. If you are REALLY worried about it just pick up a spare Prius seat to combine with the Corolla seat and store your Prius seat away for the day you sell it.

12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For OP's info..

* In order to mount the Corolla pan / Corolla framed seat, must remove mounting feet, install Prius feet

* To remove mounting feet, must drill out, remove the OEM rivets

* Pretty much only ways to attach Prius feet are with bolt and nut and / or welding

* If nut somehow came loose, failed in accident, claims investigators tracked modifier down, would need waiver in writing.

Worst case and I'm playing devils advocate. My original is in the house, ready for install when car to be sold.