1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Quick Question About Replacement Headlights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bryan5, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Bryan5

Bryan5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I want to buy some brighter headlight bulbs for my 2008 Prius, and I just want to make sure I buy the right thing. Are these the right size bulbs?

Sylvania 9003/H4 SilverStar Ultra Twin Pack

If not, could you tell me what size I need? I don't have HID or fog lights.
    Would I only need two bulbs for the front of the car, or are the high and low beams separate? Thanks!

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, those are the right size.

The twin pak is enough (each bulb is both low and high beam).

BTW, let us know how you make out with those bulbs, especially longevity. A bunch of us here have been exploring brighter bulbs. A few of us here have the Philips X-Treme Power bulbs, which are extremely bright (brightest bulbs available), but their longevity is a big question mark.

3. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Bear in mind, Silver stars have a short life. Maybe about 1 year with moderate use, and for me, as short as 3 months using them as DRL and night. PIAA has a wide selection, but I am only now gathering opinions on those.

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. Bryan5

Bryan5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the quick replies. I don't plan to use them as DRLs, and I don't really do much night driving. I've been looking at brighter bulbs, and the two that came up were from Philips and Sylvania. Although both seem to have short life spans, it looks like that's just a trade-off with going for a brighter bulb.

6. Bryan5

Bryan5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I installed the bulbs today in about thirty minutes. Installation wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. If I can remember to post back here, I'll give my experience with the bulbs' longevity.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Bryan,

as Boo said, do let us know about longevity and maybe even how the bulbs look (cause Sylvania claims the Ultras are whiter and brighter than the regular Silverstars).

I had two sets of Silverstars and both blew out under a year (05-06 and 06-07) so last fall I gave up and switched to Phillips X-Treme Power. They're a LOT brighter than the regular Silverstars (which just looked nice and white) and they're slightly whiter than the fogs but if the fogs are off, you can't tell as they're still yellow. For me, I'd rather have bright over white.

8. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    just as a recommendation, i would try a set of PIAA headlights bulb in either their Super White or Plasma White colors

IMO the silverstars are NOT bright enough and the color is blah

the PIAA gives a look and light closer to HID systems

PLUS...PIAA has great warranty on their bulbs

link: PIAA

9. Rich96c4ce

Rich96c4ce New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The best replacement bulbs as far as brightness versus life are the "Hi-Vis", "Hi-Output" or "xtravision" bulbs that have higher performance but no blue or other tinting-filters that reduces the total light output just to change the color. The color is not what helps you see, it is total light output and correct beam pattern. Also, these bulbs, because they do not have to be tweaked (i.e. running at much higher temperatures) to comply with the minimum federally required light output, will last much longer than any of the "blue" bulbs.

10. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But it's still only a warranty against defects, and not for a specified amount of hours.

11. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    ^sorry best i could recommend if used them numerous times pre-aftermarket HID, now if any car i own doesnt have HIDs i make it a point to install the aftermarket ones with good quality and warranty such as mculloch

but still PIAAs work awesome

12. Bryan5

Bryan5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I haven't been out driving at night since I installed the bulbs, but from what little driving I did, the increased visibility was good and I also thought that the white light was very nice. The light wasn't really blue at all, so I don't know if Sylvania made that claim or not.

13. Optimus

Optimus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've run Silverstars on other vehicles (without DRL's) and they only last about a year. While they are a little bit brighter, their just wasn't justified for me and I don't plan on using them anymore. I started buying the alternate brand, but I forget the name. Eagle visions? They are notably cheaper than the Silverstars but seem to be about the same overall. They should be on the shelves of Walmart right next to the Silverstars.