1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Quick regen question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by abeagler, Aug 24, 2006.

1. abeagler

abeagler New Member

In my town there's a hill that comes down to a red light. In terms of using this hill to help charge the battery, what is the better approach - let it coast down the hill (it's not so steep that I'll get to an unsafe speed), or gently apply the brake as I go down the hill?

(Driving a 2001 classic)

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    since regen seems to work best under 42 miles an hour.. cost down.. or.. you could use B mode to go down.. shift to D and then apply breaks with a nice steady but not too hard of a pressure when you get tot he light.

i kinda don't use B.. it takes a few moments for the car to properly get away from B mode. I don't have a canview, but the lexus does have a guage, so i toy with that car and apply it to my prius.

3. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(abeagler @ Aug 24 2006, 01:44 PM) [snapback]308907[/snapback]</div>
    Depends if the light will be green or red when you get to it.
    Also depends on state-of-charge the battery is in, and how you intend to use it afterward. If it's near your destination, no need to charge the battery, for instance. But generally, there will be some loss of energy when converting kinetic energy to battery power and back again, so if you can maintain your speed at the bottom of the hill, just coast down it.

4. abeagler

abeagler New Member

Whether it's red or green doesn't usually matter even if green, there are usually cars slowly pulling away from the light which force me to slow down anyway. It's pretty rare for me to be able to hit it at exactly the time when it's clear for me to continue coasting through.

As for battery needs - it's not too far from home; however, the subsequent stretch is stop/slow-and-go, and ideal for me to use the battery only, so I'd like to have as much battery power as I can for the upcoming stretch.

thanks for the thoughts.

5. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If it were me, I'd probably ease up on the accellerator as you're cresting the hill, and begin coasting down it while gently applying the brakes. Whether you coast or gently brake down the hill, the energy doing either will regenerate the battery regardless. You just don't want to be coasting so fast that you have to use more force to brake harder as you approach the light thus causing the friction brakes to kick in sooner than they otherwise would if you were already going a little slower...

6. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ Aug 24 2006, 04:21 PM) [snapback]308985[/snapback]</div>
    I think I'm just discovering this myself, Rancid13!

I also have a very long coast downhill near the end of my errand trips home....I had been coasting exclusively, and picking up speed too close to the light...which, rarely, is green or turning to green....so now, I'm applying brakes a little bit as I go down so that I don't go over 40 mph and wind up hitting brakes harder at the end.

These dang hills I live on are havoc to figure out....but I am maintaining about 41 mpg right now on second tank and VERY happy with that for the kind of driving I do.

terri

7. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Considering the smaller regenerative braking range of the '01 (compared to the '04+) I think that you'd get more regeneration by applying gentle braking for the entire length of the hill, if you wait until lake your chances of needing to brake more firmly and jumping out of the regenerative range are relatively high.

As someone said above, it also depends upon your ability to time the lights. If you can get pretty good at timing it's best to apply just enough braking at the top to time so that you can continue to roll past the light. If you know you're going to have to stop then I'd brake a bit more firmly at the top and back off as you approach the stop.

9. Lola&#39;05

Lola&#39;05 New Member

10. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Rather than coasting and having to hard brake, you would be better to coast combined with a gentle braking to come to your stop.

Regen is most efficient within its ranges.... going from 60 to zero by coasting alone may make more power than covering less distance with brakeing, but sometimes that is not practicle.

But braking hard with even less distance is likely to get even less regen... so be moderate and you'll be with tolerances it was built for.

Toyota made it to do its job for normal driving.
    Coasting has a 10K regen and braking has up to a 50K regen ability if I remember right, but I"m sure you could brake hard enough to regen 150K and throw everyone in the car forward if the car would regen that high, so since it can't.. just stay within tolerances.

11. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I've got a hill on the way to work that is a 10%grade for almost 1 mile and what I do is use brake so you can feel it just starting to slow the car and that normally yeilds about 45-50 amps of regen. I'll hold it at this till the speed drops almost to 15 miles an hour at which point the regen drops down to 10amps. If there is a lot of traffic I'll use B and that mimicks the speed that most people drive on the hill. Now for some stats the speed limit is 30mph but most people let the speed build to 50 before applying brakes as there is a slight corner half way down. In the last year I can count on one hand the number of times I've managed to get a green light at the bottom. If I use B the regen is in the order of 35 amps with a bit of braking. The BSOC might go up 2-3% on the hill depending on traffic. Before the crest of the hill is a flat 4 block long strech if I time the light right and traffic is normal I can do the whole distance in stealth which will pull the batter down 2-3%. The battery is very tightly controlled on the Classic unlike the G2's, I've had it to 80% only on very long hills or in the summer without much stealthing around.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Frank, yeah, on that hill, if I depress the brake pedal correctly, I can get 8 bars by the time I reach SW.

13. Frank Hudon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 17 2006, 05:39 PM) [snapback]320939[/snapback]</div>
    same on the wifes I can get it to 80% but not in mine. Mid 70's if I'm lucky. Starting a 55% at Rumble I'm lucky to get 58% at the light.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow.. that big of a difference in regeneration between the two generations?

15. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Sep 17 2006, 07:29 PM) [snapback]320935[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Frank... thats very informative.. I've never seen anyone share thier Can-view knowledge that well.
    I don't have Can-view, but at least now I know how to feather the brakes to get the most out of it.

It sounds like you get full regen when the brakes "just start to slow the car".. so that would stand to reason that applying any more brakes than that is only a waste of friction or kinetic energy since 50 is the max anyway.

16. Frank Hudon

50 amps isn't the max, close about 58 seems to be about as high as I've ever been able to get it. This data from my Classic.
    CAN-view on the 2k4 shows about 125 max, that I've been able to generate. I'd have to look at the Max/Min's to see if it was higher. I've gotten it to 83% BSOC on a "hill" after getting the battery temp up to the low 40'sC. Battery voltage peaked at 248 Volts. Oh the hill was 8 1/2% grade for 8 Km's (5 miles)

17. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, the Classic braking system brought in way too much hydraulic
    too early in the game. Toyota documents this, as part of pointing
    out how improved the 3rd-gen system is -- it basically doesn't
    touch the brakes till you *really* need 'em. Much more efficient.
    100A steady-state, btw. Maybe 125 in a very brief burst but keep in
    mind the pack is *fused* at 125A!!
    _H*

18. Frank Hudon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Sep 17 2006, 10:56 PM) [snapback]321054[/snapback]</div>
    when the BSOC is in the 70% range and the battery is cool in the low 20C range and your on a long grade you can put 125 in till about 78% and then it very rapidly drops into the 20 amp range and once at 80% 2 amps is all I've seen. Yes it's fused but it's not a normal fast blow fuse, it's more of a slow blow type. I sure wouldn't want to give it a 10 amp surge when your up in the teens or low 20's as I'm sure you'd pop it.

19. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow..this whole regen thing it tooo coool...

Toyota is the only one I can think of thats had the guts to master it.

Honda is just a wanna be when it comes to this stuff.

20. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Drive for safety. If driving for regen increases your chances of an accident by 1% because you are no longer driving with the flow of traffic, it's not worth it.

If there are no other cars around, then go ahead and optimize your braking strategy for regen. But don't put yourself and others at risk trying to get an additional 1 or 2 % SOC into your battery. Remember that no matter what you do, you are going to recover some energy slowing down on a downhill.