1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Quick - Somebody reccomend some oil!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kdmorse, Aug 15, 2006.

1. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And I don't mean 0W20 vs 5W30, etc.. I'll put in the recommended weight. And I'm leaning towards synthetic. But considering the stories I've heard about how bad the general sludge at the dealership service centers can be, I'd like to walk in with bottles in hand.

However - I know nothing about motor oil - *nothing*. (Car innards is not one of my areas of expertise). And I'd hate to do something stupid like pick some up that looks right to me, and find it's only good for lunar excursion vehicles. (I suspect I probably can't go *that* far wrong, but me and cars, you never know...)

So - somebody recommend a good oil I can pick up on the shelf, and take in for my 5000 mile service tomorrow.

Thanks!

-Ken

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Get some Mobil 1 5W-30. You can get it at most discount stores or auto parts stores. It costs around $20 for a 5 quart container at Wal Mart for example. The engine takes less than 4 quarts.

Make sure you tell them NOT to over fill it, tell them to leave it a bit below the full mark on the dip stick. Then check it yourself to make sure it's right.

3. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    On Bob's oil website I read Havoline was good at it was cheapest of the namebrands at my local Walmart. Plus it had a NASCAR picture on it :),
    I have no doubts.

4. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is there any advantage to "Mobile 1 Extended Performance" if I'm not going to be keeping the oil in the car for extended amounts of time? Is it in any way cleaner, better, etc... for regular use? And would it still be of some benefit if I'm one of those folks who tends not to change oil quite as often as I'm supposed to?

Thanks,

-Ken

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kdmorse @ Aug 15 2006, 02:37 PM) [snapback]303744[/snapback]</div>
    If you could stretch out the oil change interval there might be. But it's a warranty issue, you need to change oil and filter every 5K miles. You might also argue that since we change our oil every 5K miles anyway there is no advantage to using synthetic of any kind except maybe in very cold climates. I don't think I could find a good argument against that logic. But I use Mobile 1 because I want to be nice to my car and if I still own it after the warranty runs out I'll go to a longer interval.

6. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: Considering the possible costs of major engine damage, it doesn't make sense to me to skimp on either the quality of motor oil or stretch the oil change interval.

As for me, I changed to Mobil-1 5W30 at 10,000 miles instructing my dealer every 5,000 miles to use the oil I furnish, exactly 3½ qts which, with the oil filter change, brings the level to ~¼" below the dipstick "full" mark. I'm only at 20,000 miles and the oil on the dipstick always looks new.

7. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Consumer Reports has done several studies on oil brand, weight and use - including using New York taxis as the test vehicle. While not the ultimate authority, it is a place to start. There have been previous discussions on oil on Priuschat - do a search.

I use Mobil 1 and change my own oil and filter. The dealer never understands the Prius.

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any oil of the correct viscosity ("weight") and which meets the minimum service grade given in your owner's manual (SG, or SH, or whateverinhell it is) is fine. "Extended service" oil is pointless because you're going to change the oil every 5,000 miles or six months whichever comes first, because that's what Toyota's warranty requires.

Give three quart bottles to the guy and tell him to put in all of that and nothing else. Then check the level yourself the next day, and if you feel like it add more from a fourth bottle. (I have them add exactly three bottles of Mobil 1 and never add any more myself; three quarts leaves the level halfway between the dipstick marks, and that's perfect.)

9. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse @ Aug 15 2006, 04:04 PM) [snapback]303787[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly.