1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

quick update for everyone

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by windshearalert, Mar 15, 2010.

1. windshearalert

windshearalert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Checking back in with everyone on the forum. Hope everyone is doing fine and cars running ok!
    Just my thoughts, but this whole floor mat / gas pedal fiasco is getting out of hand....

Quick update for everyone....2001 Prius just passed 234,xxx today and had an oil change at the dealer. As posted previously, the afternarket Cat Converter I installed last year is still plugging along with not a problem. Colder weather zapped my MPG down to an average of 45MPG (Worst tank i have had since I owned the car) - Weather today back up into the high 60's almost to 70deg. Mileage has already gone back up on this tank to 49.6 MPG last 360 miles. I should be back into 50-52 MPG range once it gets back up into the 80 degree weather.
    Just an FYI, but I do NOT run gasoline that contains ethanol. I have seen my MPG drop at least 3-5 MPG with ethanol fuel. I search around for a station that does NOT have the ethanol stickers on the tank. Its getting harder to find stations that do not mix it in.....
    Im going to be in the need for some replacement Michelin Hydroedges soon. Anyone have a hint on best deals online? Just curious.
    Take care everyone, happy motoring!
    Justin

2 people like this.
  2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice to hear your care is holding up so well. That said, just b/c there's no sticker doesn't mean you're getting non-ethanol gas.

3. windshearalert

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very true. I have narrowed down my station of choice to the Shell station here in my town. At the moment only two stations left that dont have ethanol stickers. I honestly cannot tell a performance or drivability difference with either type. Main thing I can say is that when using the shell gasoline (No sticker) i can easilly pull 51-52 MPG with an entire tank. If i fill up at other stations in town (And it happens, LOL) I cannot breach the 48-49 MPG mark.
    Im pretty consistant with my driviing. Its 4 days of hiway, 29 Miles one way to work and 29 back. I run about 62-65MPH. That will pull at least 240-250 miles of my travels pending a food run while working. the remainder of the tank is usually handled around town on my days off.
    Would Love to try some of the "Wonder" additives, but im sure a majority are snake oil and not even worth the effort.

1 person likes this.
  4. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That is very interesting. I didn't know it was possible to buy gasoline without 10% ethanol anymore. I knew it would reduce fuel economy, but I figured it was all relative and since everybody else's fuel economy suffers too then it works out the same. And being that I only fill my car up once every 6 weeks, I don't usually bother to go out of my way to find cheap gas or anything. BUT - if you are saying I can buy gas without ethanol, then I may have to look around and see if any of the stations around here have it.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It depends on the location. Some areas only have gas with ethanol.

Tom

6. windshearalert

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes being in Ft Worth area, I don't know if EPA or whatever makes all stations sell fuel with 10% ethanol. I know in Arkansas, there are stations that dont have the ethanol stickers. Of course, previous poster is correct it may still be ethanol 10%, but I would hope not. Usually in the larger towns I can find a station. It just depends. I dont think its Brand specific. One Shell may sell 10% and another one may not.
    Man, I wish i had the problem of needing to fill up every 6 weeks! I usually burn through a tank every 8 days.