1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Quickest way to disconnect 12v?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Angry Radish, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Angry Radish

Angry Radish Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm planning to start my aftermarket stereo install tomorrow on my week old (to me) 2008. I just realized I have no idea if there is a quick way to kill the 12v without having to gain access to the battery in back.

Anything I can pull under the hood?

Thanks!

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nope. Gotta pull the neg terminal off the body at the 12v battery in the back. You can then leave the back hatch open without flagging the battery. Don't close that hatch it may lock on you and then you have to crawl in the back and search blindly for the release mech.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. You could remove the nut on the dedicated positive jumpstart terminal (protected by a red plastic hinged cover) in the main relay/fuse box, then pull up on the cable connected to the stud, and set it aside. That will disconnect the positive side of the battery.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd stay out of the fuse box plus you get to investigate the condition of all the main 12 volt battery connections. That's important if your upgrading the stereo as your going to run a B+ cable back there anyway.
    I'd pull the battery out and clean it and check if any corrosion is collecting at the base and check the battery carefully for any bulging or cracking. Its going to get a workout with a new stereo.

5. Angry Radish

Angry Radish Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the replies!
    I'll have a look up front to see how accessible the disconnect is there before heading around back. I'm just adding a new head unit, no additional amps, etc.. so I'm fine with leaving things as they are in back for now if I can get away with it.

Cheers!