1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Quiet cars may need alert for pedestrians

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Feb 18, 2009.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Quiet cars may need alert for pedestrians | detnews.com | The Detroit News

This is the note I sent Tom:
    Hi Tom,

I too visited the Detroit Auto Show and saw: (1) Volvo pedestrian avoidance radar; and (2) Denso lane following, sign reading, and pedestrian tracking radar and digital camera. Also, you might have noticed BMW announced "the BMW 7 Series will include several technical innovation firsts, including the World's first Night Vision system with individual pedestrian recognition." These systems work for all pedestrians, the 4,700 who die each year, not just the 5 blind pedestrians.

There is an old saying that to someone who only has a hammer, all problems are nails. That pretty well sums up how the Nation Federation of the Blind perceives all vehicles. Sad to say, they haven't looked at the noise levels from all vehicles

In Europe, they also measure vehicle noise:
    VCAcarfueldata.org.uk - Downloads . It turns out the Prius is not the quietest but it is is in the top 10% of all quiet vehicles. Others in that list include:

BMW 3 Series
    Nissan X Trail 207
    Mazda6
    MBW 5 Series
    Toyota Yaris
    VW Passat
    Daihatus Charade
    Subaru Impreza
    . . .

Currently the NFB is trying to get H.R. 734 passed, we call it the "Bell the Hybrid Act." The problem is it will only make hybrids just as deadly as today's vehicles. Safety is not improved because the advanced technologies like Volvo, BMW and Denso are delivering are not considered. H.R. 734 legislates the 'status quo', might as well require horse clops from cars.

Last year, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration held a hearing in DC, June 23, on "Quet Cars" only the record also includes our opposition research. There is another side to the story:

www.regulations.gov - search "NHTSA-2008-0101-0020" for our research.
    Bob Wilson

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Maybe this guy wants straight pipes and V8's without emissions controls.

I already have an alert for pedestrians. It's called a "horn"

3. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I use this:
    [​IMG]

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Considering the recent news, how about the sound of a chimp running monkeys***?