1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Quiet Cars Public Comments Requested

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Kremtok, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Kremtok

Kremtok Smug Alert!

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We've probably all heard that there has been concern within the blind community about hybrid and other 'quiet' vehicles being more difficult to hear than conventional vehicles. In order to address this, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has begun regulatory proceedings aimed to determine the severity of the problem as well as identify possible solutions. While the Prius is not mentioned specifically, hybrid vehicles are specifically targeted.

Attached is a section of the Federal Register that describes the percieved problem and tells you how to participate in the public comment and rulemaking process. I would encourage all voting Americans to let your voice be heard on the issue during the public comment period.

Attached Files:

2. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just as we have substituted oil for knowledge, Detroit has substituted noise for efficiency, power and quality. Time to apply the knowledge.

3. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Thanks, that was a good catch. I'm certainly going to submit my study of blind pedestrian deaths as a comment. For what it's worth. Sounds like the train has pretty much left the station, based on how I read that Federal Register notice.

4. CalvinL

CalvinL 2013 Prius Persona Black Cherry Pearl

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't forget to compare that to the number of complaints about neighborhood/city vehicular noise complaints. Traffic noise is a chief complaint of why road expansion and/or new roads go up so slow and why its so costly because of the neccessary EIS studies.

5. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the heads up. Sent the submission below through Regulations.gov.

Rob

6. Wa1hog

Wa1hog Old Blind Hippie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sooner or later (Later) all cars will be quite. Lets put radars on the font of each quiet cars. When we see a blind person the car will let blast a120dB horn...
    Ouch!

Its a joke guys!!!!

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Make all cars quiet, problem solved.

8. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for posting the Federal Register Notices, Kremtok, but I had a hard time reading them. To make it easier for myself, I copied the PDF and massaged it and turned it into a new PDF with type I can read.

One thing everyone should notice is that you can make comments on line by going to http://www.regulations.gov and searching for Docket No. NHTSA-2008-0108 and then following the on line instructions. If you happen to be in the Washington, D.C. area, a public meeting will be held on June 23, 2008, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Grand Hyatt Washington. Written comments must be received by August 1, 2008. All the details are in the seven page PDF.

The quiet car you save may be your own...

Attached Files:

9. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think that the issue of cars getting quieter is as important as people wandering around with ipods and cell phones and totally unaware of all the things around them (including large moving objects like automobiles).

Keith

10. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    All they need are K9's that recognize the Prius, that's all.
    If you're not walking with a dog, you're fair game.

Seriously, How many blind people are actually getting almost hurt/hurt/maimed/killed due specifically the hybrid issue, as opposed to normal cars?? I'd really like to know.
    I'm assuming normal cars are more than 98% of the problem.

Regardless if true, if we don't call/write our representative/congressman, we are going to get some ridiculous law passed that hurts everyone but helps no one.

ZC1

11. Kremtok

Kremtok Smug Alert!

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You are absolutely correct, Bill. These notices are always dense and can be extremely difficult for even the most educated people to understand. As a regulator myself, I'm used to reading through them and I failed to use my experience to weed out the irrelevant bits and provide the forum with something more useful. Thanks for taking the time to put together your version of the document!

I subscribe to the Federal Register and will continue to keep an eye out for things that are of interest to Prius owners.

12. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    To solve the dangerous, and allegedly murderous electric stealth mode, a feature could be added so that when the car runs all electric, the horn automatically turns on.

Or you could just put the stereo speakers on the outside of the car.

13. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks Bill! I'm a LOT more likely to send something via an internet form than get around to sending snail mail.

My submission:

First:
    Instead of considering making quiet vehicles louder, you should consider legislating all vehicles to
    be quieter. Who can hear even an average car crossing through an intersection with loud Harleys,
    big diesel trucks and young people with noise enhanced mufflers and heavy bass stereos blasting?
    If the road noise was limited to quiet vehicles and birds, anyone, blind or not, would be able to tell
    where the vehicles are on the road. I know at least 20 people that own a Prius and not one has had
    a 'quiet vehicle' incident. I think you are being led to chase a non existant problem.

Second:
    Both drivers and pedestrians (blind, deaf or neither) need to be responsible. Certainly drivers of
    quiet vehicles can be educated if necessary to ensure awareness that they are less audible and
    must take extra care. I have driven my 2004 Prius 70,000 miles and have neither hit anyone nor
    had any close calls. Likewise, my wife has driven her 2006 Prius 20,000 miles without incident. And
    yes, we are careful in parking lots since people walk without looking around.

Drivers where I live are more likely to reach an intersection and look left for approaching cars, then
    turn right without stopping (even at red lights and stop signs) than look at the sidewalk on either
    side to see if there are any pedestrians. It is amazing we don't have a high vehicle-pedestrian
    accident rate. If someone gets hit, it won't be because the car was too quiet. To paraphrase the gun
    lobbyists, "Quiet cars don't kill people, people kill people".

And while most pedestrians are aware that they are at risk, I have seen people approach an
    intersection and start crossing without bothering to look for cars.

Of course, you can't legislate stupidity out of people.

Bruce Alvarez
    South Burlington, VT

14. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm trying to put together a response that talks about how electric trackless trolleys have been running in cities and towns throughout the US for many years. When they pass, you only hear the whoosh of their tires. They currently run in San Francisco. Are there any other US cities or towns have active trolley lines?

15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  16. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It would be good to see hybrids fill the streets outside this meeting. Can you imagine the blood soaked streets? No doubt there will be blind people coming.
    Take along some ad material for luxury American cars bragging about how quiet they are. Should be interesting.

17. Mormegil

Mormegil Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Well, I do have a cousin that had a bit of a shady past. Upon witnessing my uncle's Prius, he exclaimed "This would be awesome in a drive-by!"

Don't worry, he's an upstanding member of society now, and a business owner.

18. acdii

acdii Active Member

I don't get where people say the Prius cant be heard. My wife can hear it when I approached where she was sitting on a bench. It makes a distinctive whine when on electric. The THC is even more noticeable, especially when braking, I can hear it inside the car. My moms Town car is quieter than the Camry, you cant hear it at all when it runs, even the electric fans are quiet.