1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Qustion about NAV / CD Display

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by TGM, Aug 27, 2008.

1. TGM

TGM New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a '08 Prius with the NAV system. I notice that when playing CD's there is an option in the upper right corner to list the tracks but it is grayed out. At first I thought it was because the CD's I was playing were burned from iTunes and they didn't have the track names (the player doesn't show artist/song either). However, when I recently played a store bought CD the "list tracks" option is still grayed out yet the artist/song is displayed in the display. So I have two questions I was hoping someone could help me out with:

1) What is the function of the "list tracks" button in the CD view and how is it activated?

2) What type of CD's does one need to burn to have artist/song show up in the display?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Regards,

Tom

2. pdhenry

pdhenry It's HEEERE!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you burn a data disk with MP3s (properly tagged) you can see the artist/song info. Normal music CDs don't include artist and track info, although there may be an "enhanced CD" format that does (I think the owner's manual implies this anyway).

3. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    hello,

if you burn the cd with ID3 tag information, it will display it...

also worth noting that this is one of the many functions on the prius that is normally greyed out when the car is in motion....

so it's possible your audio cd is tagged fine, but the car is preventing you from reading those tags, because it is bring driven

check your itunes configuration and see that burn id3 information is selected
    (preferences, advanced, burn as audio cd, select include cd text)

if you burn a mp3 cd with itunes, the file name will be more or less the tag, and if you select folder details , track list, or something like that in the prius, it will show name artist that is in the mp3 file
    (as long as the car isnt being moved of course)

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Stop the car, then the info will display. Toyota's lawyers are worried about your safety.

Tom

5. TGM

TGM New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks guys. I did a little detective work and this is what I uncovered. MP3 format would probably work but iTunes does not let one make an MP3 CD using songs purchased from the iTunes store. The CD burning format within iTunes that displays the full song/artist information on the Prius NAV is the "Data CD" option. Thanks for your help.

6. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    mp3 are encoded with title name artist also, and the prius will display those too, but the car can't be moved. if you want mp3s then you can always burn an audio cd with itunes and then reconvert those to mp3s.

7. pdhenry

pdhenry It's HEEERE!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It needs to encoded in MP3 or Windows Media (not likely, from iTunes) to play as a data CD in the Prius.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    +1 on this.

9. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    itunes has no problem burning mp3 cds.
    it just wont burn mp3s on purchased content unless you burn to audio cd first then reimport the audio cd
    and any songs in your library recorded as apple lossless or m4a for example can be converted to mp3 using itunes
    m4p (purchased music) will have to be burned as audio first

10. Sho-Bud

Sho-Bud Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This also works with normal audio cd's which have cd text. There not many around though.
    You can burn these cd's yourself, most burning programs have the cd text option.