1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

R&R Front Bumper Cover Myself?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by starling, Aug 28, 2006.

1. starling

starling New Member

I got a dent in the corner of my front bumper cover. I've gotten two estimates, both for around $600, which is less than my deductible. So I'm trying to see what my options are. I found a place online that'll sell me a new bumper cover painted, cleared and shipped for $460, so I'm considering doing that. Nobody seems to sell aftermarket or refurb bumper covers.

Has anyone ever removed or replaced their bumper cover? How hard is it? Anything I need to know? (I'm relatively mechanically inclined and have basic tools.)

Is the procedure in the shop manual that's downloadable from TIS?

Are there any single-use fasteners/clips that I'd need to replace or other parts I might need? (The aluminum bumper itself is OK... only damage is to the plastic bumper cover.)

Also... is there any alternative to paying full retail at the dealership for parts? There really doesn't seem to be much of an aftermarket for the prius yet. Do the dealer parts depts ever offer discounts? I used to get the "high mileage" discount on my Volvo, but the Prius isn't quite to 300,000 yet. :D

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The bumper comes off pretty easy. Its all in the first part of the exterior repair manual. The only thing I suggest is have someone help you put it on. Doing it your self may be difficult but can be done. I would point you to the pictures I had here on PC but they were lost in the great lame hack attempt. :rolleyes: I'm in the process of finding and reposting them.