1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Raccoon Damage to Front of 2007

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by toppshelff, Apr 5, 2009.

1. toppshelff

toppshelff New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hey guys, just hit my first raccoon with my recently purchased 2007 Touring Prius. Uggh. After hit, heard a lot of air resistance and saw gas mileage drop about 15 mpg. Had to stop for the night (enter favorite Eagle's reference here).

Looks like he mashed up the grill cover over the fog lights, and the baffle under the bumper. Bumper seems to be OK, but haven't looked yet this morning. {Edited to add that bumper is cracked, not badly, but will also need to be replace. Dang.}

Wondering if I pull the baffle off if the car will be OK on the highway. Got about 6 hours of driving left today.

2. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Use duct tape??.

3. toppshelff

toppshelff New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Back-up plan. The part is badly damaged, and pretty large to wrap a pile of duct tape to. Also, not good places on body to attach.

4. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The only thing to really worry about is the support if any that baffle gives to the other plastic pieces, 70 mph wind can really tear apart stuff. I don't remember how interconnected those pieces are, seems fairly much, I'd remove , cut off hanging damaged plastic, and if necessary add duct tape/bungy cord to stabilize the rest for the trip.

5. mbeml

mbeml Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Last Thanksgiving I left Tampa Florida heading back to Fort Worth Texas about 4am and about two hours out in the black of night driving on a secondary road I hit a wild boar laying in the middle of the road. I guess he was already dead and my 2007 touring Prius plowed right over him, I could feel the car lunge upward as it rolled under the car. I didn't stop to check the car because it was so dark outside so I drove about 15 miles to the nearest service station and got out and walked around the car. The front end was a mess and some of the lower front end parts were hanging about one inch off the ground. The sides and rear looked fine. No dash lights came on and the car seemed to be running fine and not overheating so I decided to continue the rest of my 15 hour drive. The car ran great all the way back and except for the plastic parts hanging scraping the pavement on dips and a small drop in MPG's. The next morning I checked the car out more closely and was supprised to see that the rediator was kinked in and several other things I haden't noticed in the dark. All in all the repair bill was $4,200.00. The Prius is one tough car, but I already knew that. My last car was a 2004 Prius.