1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rack and pinion replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by happy1, Dec 28, 2013.

1. happy1

happy1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Greetings.....
    I had the need to have my rack and pinion assembly replaced (due to being towed on a flatbed truck and the chain bending it)....I brought it to a certified Toyota dealer that replaced it with a new part ($897.08, labor cost $$625.00). The towing company agreed to refund me for the labor but only wants to credit me for $200.00 for the part, saying I could have gotten an after market part. My understanding is that as a hybrid, the part needs to be new since it is an electric rack and pinion assembly. Could you please give me your thoughts...thank you!

2. happy1

happy1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Greetings.....
    I had the need to have my rack and pinion assembly replaced (due to being towed on a flatbed truck and the chain bending it)....I brought it to a certified Toyota dealer that replaced it with a new part ($897.08, labor cost $$625.00). The towing company agreed to refund me for the labor but only wants to credit me for $200.00 for the part, saying I could have gotten an after market part. My understanding is that as a hybrid, the part needs to be new since it is an electric rack and pinion assembly. Could you please give me your thoughts...thank you!

3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    See if AAA has a towing guide for your vehicle. I know they did for my Porsche as it required special handling and flatbed only treatment. That would establish how they should have handled your car. Even if they aren't AAA it would document an industry norm.

The towing company is trying to limit its expense. You are entitled to have an OEM part just as was on the car before they mishandled it unless you signed some paper before they towed it that changed the terms to their paperwork/contract. But the practical matter is enforcing that notion. Got a lawyer?

And where did they get the $200 from? Is there even such a part and price? Challenge them.

By the way, you posted in the Prius v (station wagon section) and might get more specific guidance if you posted in the section that matches your model because someone there might have had a similar experience.

Good luck.

4. happy1

happy1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you so much for your thoughtful and helpful reply, Mike....you raise some important points and I will follow-up (e.g. - AAA towing guide; didn't sign any papers prior to tow; $200 price, etc.)....also didn't realize I was posting on the Prius V site so you've helped me learn a lot! Thank you again for your time and knowledge.....all the best for a great 2014!